Cut Resistance Of Romex Cable? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-24-2008, 05:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 506

Cut resistance of Romex cable?

Hi;
I can't help but notice that the current Romex cable has a thinner outer jacket than did it's predecessor of 25 years ago.
Isn't this thinner jacket more prone to getting damaged while pulling?
Especially in old walls, where there can be nails that are impossible to see unless the wall is completely opened up.

I suppose it would take a pretty tough pull to snag the cable hard enough against a nail to cut the jacket, but it seems possible.
I have done some pulling with the new Romex, but so far I haven't had this problem. I just think about it sometimes.

Advertisement

KE2KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 12:41 AM   #2
Idiot Emeritus

Rewards Points: 1,058

The older 'Romex' (NM) had type TW conductors in it. The newer (NM-B) has type THHN.

The insulation in THHN is indeed thinner, but made of much harder plastic. The outer jacket is somewhat similar.

Being harder plastic, it pulls easier across rough surfaces, and doesn't snag quite as easily.

Rob

Advertisement

Last edited by micromind; 10-25-2008 at 12:46 AM.
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 02:44 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 506

Quote:
Originally Posted by micromind View Post
The older 'Romex' (NM) had type TW conductors in it. The newer (NM-B) has type THHN.

The insulation in THHN is indeed thinner, but made of much harder plastic. The outer jacket is somewhat similar.

Being harder plastic, it pulls easier across rough surfaces, and doesn't snag quite as easily.

Rob
Thanks for the reply;
That's good to know. High-tek plastics<g>.
The THHN insulation seems to make working with 12 gauge wire a bit easier.

I have found in a wall that I have opened, that there are some small nails protruding into the wall space from the opposite wall's lathwork. I can't see the purpose of these nails. They're small, but protrude well past the lathe.
This particular wall is less than the standard 5" or 6". It's a closet facing another closet. I don't know what the building codes require now, but this house is 80 years old.

KE2KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 03:37 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by KE2KB View Post
Thanks for the reply;
That's good to know. High-tek plastics<g>.
The THHN insulation seems to make working with 12 gauge wire a bit easier.

I have found in a wall that I have opened, that there are some small nails protruding into the wall space from the opposite wall's lathwork. I can't see the purpose of these nails. They're small, but protrude well past the lathe.
This particular wall is less than the standard 5" or 6". It's a closet facing another closet. I don't know what the building codes require now, but this house is 80 years old.

Once you pull, check the resistance between the wires, I always do that. Those multimeters are VERY helpful.
rgsgww is offline   Reply With Quote