Cut Pipe Or Move Meter Cable? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-20-2013, 06:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Cut pipe or move meter cable?

The previous owner of my house had the electric upgraded to 220 service a few years ago. Problem is they have the new cable crammed up against a copper pipe. I want to move the pipe up so I can put new baseboard heater covers in the room above. I can't pull the pipe high enough to get the new covers on because of the stupid power cable. I'd like the cable below the pipe not above. What do you guys recommend? Whoever installed the cable is an idiot. I attached a picture so you can see what I'm talking about.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Cut pipe or move meter cable?-image.jpg  

Advertisement

Paintrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:59 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

I would cut the pipe, some sharkbite fittings maybe all you need. If the pipe is jambed in there you may need to sweat it anyway.

Advertisement

paintdrying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:21 PM   #3
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,782

So whoever installed the cable was supposed to be psychic and know you wanted to make changes? Hardly an idiot, they dealt with the conditions at the time.
brric (01-21-2013), frenchelectrican (01-20-2013), gregzoll (01-20-2013), jbfan (01-21-2013), NJMarine (01-23-2013), stickboy1375 (01-21-2013)
Old 01-20-2013, 07:36 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,468

Cut the pipe. You certainly can't cut the cable.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:37 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,448

I would go to the left of the picture, cut the line, then go to the right where it goes up through the floor, cut there. Then pull back and raise above the entrance line, reattach with shark bites.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:45 PM   #6
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrunner View Post
The previous owner of my house had the electric upgraded to 220 service a few years ago. Problem is they have the new cable crammed up against a copper pipe. I want to move the pipe up so I can put new baseboard heater covers in the room above. I can't pull the pipe high enough to get the new covers on because of the stupid power cable. I'd like the cable below the pipe not above. What do you guys recommend? Whoever installed the cable is an idiot. I attached a picture so you can see what I'm talking about.

Thanks!
I have done the same thing when ran new service entrance cable like that and useally not a issue however if you really want to move the pipe the best answer is cut the eau pipe not the service entrance cable that is unfused so you will have to use two splices on the eau pipe.

Merci,
Marc
Old 01-20-2013, 11:19 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 536

PS All houses are wire 220 from the incoming power line, it gets split in the panel box to 110 on each side.
They may have upgraded for say a 60 to a 100 amps panel or more but did not "change" it to 220 V.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:24 PM   #8
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,006

I love it when homeowners tell me they have really messed up wiring because they can't figure something out.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to k_buz For This Useful Post:
electures (01-22-2013)
Old 01-20-2013, 11:30 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 536

Let them trying pulling a wire that size. I know I'd make it as easy on myself as possible.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
electures (01-22-2013)
Old 01-20-2013, 11:33 PM   #10
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Let them trying pulling a wire that size. I know I'd make it as easy on myself as possible.
That size is not bother me much but just wait until you see larger commercal / industrail conductor size now that will open your eyes on that one and you will be very sore when ya get done with it.

I just got one done yesterday 8 conductors per phase 240mm2 ( same as 500 KCM conductor )

Merci,
Marc
Old 01-21-2013, 09:17 AM   #11
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000
Send a message via AIM to rrolleston Send a message via Yahoo to rrolleston

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
That size is not bother me much but just wait until you see larger commercal / industrail conductor size now that will open your eyes on that one and you will be very sore when ya get done with it.

I just got one done yesterday 8 conductors per phase 240mm2 ( same as 500 KCM conductor )

Merci,
Marc
That aluminum se cable I always find it to be really easy to bend. It's the URD cables and larger copper that I find are usually hard to bend. Most I ever get to deal with around here is 250 300.

What kind of puller do you use on a pull like that?
Old 01-21-2013, 07:30 PM   #12

Thanks for suggesting going the route of shark bites. I figured it would be easier to cut the pipe than have a electrician come out and disconnect the cable. Maybe the person that installed the cable wasn't an idiot, but they sure didn't use their brain. It seems like having the hot water pipe free to move above the cable instead of pinned down against the foundation would of been the better option. The hot water pipe has begun to melt the outside jacket of the cable.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:44 PM   #13
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,448

Actually Paintrunner, it is the other way around. The Copper pipe came before the electrical. So really whoever pulled that service cable is the idiot, not the person from who knows when the house was built, installed that copper.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Actually Paintrunner, it is the other way around. The Copper pipe came before the electrical. So really whoever pulled that service cable is the idiot, not the person from who knows when the house was built, installed that copper.
Yea I know. The cable came circa 2005. The pipe 1973.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:11 PM   #15
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,614

Good to see this was posted in the Electrical Board- it's definitely not a plumbing issue

Advertisement

gregzoll (01-21-2013), jbfan (01-22-2013), oh'mike (01-21-2013)