DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   Cut pipe or move meter cable? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/cut-pipe-move-meter-cable-169651/)

Paintrunner 01-20-2013 05:50 PM

Cut pipe or move meter cable?
 
1 Attachment(s)
The previous owner of my house had the electric upgraded to 220 service a few years ago. Problem is they have the new cable crammed up against a copper pipe. I want to move the pipe up so I can put new baseboard heater covers in the room above. I can't pull the pipe high enough to get the new covers on because of the stupid power cable. I'd like the cable below the pipe not above. What do you guys recommend? Whoever installed the cable is an idiot. I attached a picture so you can see what I'm talking about.

Thanks!

paintdrying 01-20-2013 05:59 PM

I would cut the pipe, some sharkbite fittings maybe all you need. If the pipe is jambed in there you may need to sweat it anyway.

Jim Port 01-20-2013 06:21 PM

So whoever installed the cable was supposed to be psychic and know you wanted to make changes? Hardly an idiot, they dealt with the conditions at the time.

joed 01-20-2013 06:36 PM

Cut the pipe. You certainly can't cut the cable.

gregzoll 01-20-2013 06:37 PM

I would go to the left of the picture, cut the line, then go to the right where it goes up through the floor, cut there. Then pull back and raise above the entrance line, reattach with shark bites.

frenchelectrican 01-20-2013 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paintrunner (Post 1098088)
The previous owner of my house had the electric upgraded to 220 service a few years ago. Problem is they have the new cable crammed up against a copper pipe. I want to move the pipe up so I can put new baseboard heater covers in the room above. I can't pull the pipe high enough to get the new covers on because of the stupid power cable. I'd like the cable below the pipe not above. What do you guys recommend? Whoever installed the cable is an idiot. I attached a picture so you can see what I'm talking about.

Thanks!

I have done the same thing when ran new service entrance cable like that and useally not a issue however if you really want to move the pipe the best answer is cut the eau pipe not the service entrance cable that is unfused so you will have to use two splices on the eau pipe.

Merci,
Marc

joecaption 01-20-2013 10:19 PM

PS All houses are wire 220 from the incoming power line, it gets split in the panel box to 110 on each side.
They may have upgraded for say a 60 to a 100 amps panel or more but did not "change" it to 220 V.

k_buz 01-20-2013 10:24 PM

I love it when homeowners tell me they have really messed up wiring because they can't figure something out.

joecaption 01-20-2013 10:30 PM

Let them trying pulling a wire that size. I know I'd make it as easy on myself as possible.

frenchelectrican 01-20-2013 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecaption (Post 1098329)
Let them trying pulling a wire that size. I know I'd make it as easy on myself as possible.

That size is not bother me much but just wait until you see larger commercal / industrail conductor size now that will open your eyes on that one and you will be very sore when ya get done with it.

I just got one done yesterday 8 conductors per phase 240mm2 ( same as 500 KCM conductor )

Merci,
Marc

rrolleston 01-21-2013 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frenchelectrican (Post 1098332)
That size is not bother me much but just wait until you see larger commercal / industrail conductor size now that will open your eyes on that one and you will be very sore when ya get done with it.

I just got one done yesterday 8 conductors per phase 240mm2 ( same as 500 KCM conductor )

Merci,
Marc

That aluminum se cable I always find it to be really easy to bend. It's the URD cables and larger copper that I find are usually hard to bend. Most I ever get to deal with around here is 250 300.

What kind of puller do you use on a pull like that?

Paintrunner 01-21-2013 06:30 PM

Thanks for suggesting going the route of shark bites. I figured it would be easier to cut the pipe than have a electrician come out and disconnect the cable. Maybe the person that installed the cable wasn't an idiot, but they sure didn't use their brain. It seems like having the hot water pipe free to move above the cable instead of pinned down against the foundation would of been the better option. The hot water pipe has begun to melt the outside jacket of the cable.

gregzoll 01-21-2013 06:44 PM

Actually Paintrunner, it is the other way around. The Copper pipe came before the electrical. So really whoever pulled that service cable is the idiot, not the person from who knows when the house was built, installed that copper.

Paintrunner 01-21-2013 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzoll (Post 1098958)
Actually Paintrunner, it is the other way around. The Copper pipe came before the electrical. So really whoever pulled that service cable is the idiot, not the person from who knows when the house was built, installed that copper.

Yea I know. The cable came circa 2005. The pipe 1973.

TheEplumber 01-21-2013 07:11 PM

Good to see this was posted in the Electrical Board- it's definitely not a plumbing issue :laughing:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:29 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved