Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-24-2013, 05:46 PM   #1

Share |

Cut off switch for car battery blowing fuses

Okay so long story short, there's a battery drain in my car that I can't find even with a multimeter. I'm sick and tired of dealing with it, so I decided to just set up a battery cut off switch. All the purpose made ones were the kind that hook directly to the battery, which isn't what I wanted. I wanted it on a toggle in the passenger compartment. They don't really make toggle switches rated for that. I was told to set up a solenoid and then I could use a toggle switch just fine. So I got a continuous heavy duty solenoid, a 20 amp toggle switch, a 20 amp inline fuse, some cable/wire and assembled it as pictured in the diagram below. Problem is it keeps blowing the fuse. The whole point for the solenoid as I was told was that it would make it safe to hook up a toggle, but if I didn't have it set up on a fuse, I would have already blown out the switch multiple times. Did I put the fuse in the wrong spot? Do I have the 2 red cables on the new solenoid switched? What am I doing wrong?

IAmSupernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:58 PM   #2
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Your diagram is not making sense. As you have it drawn, that switch is not a battery disconnect. It's a starter switch. Turning the switch on would crank the engine. I don't think that's what you intended, or what you actually wired. So I think we need a revised diagram that actually shows the real setup. Also need more information: Does it work at all? Does the fuse blow instantly every time? Does the solenoid "click" when you turn the switch on? Exactly what wires are connected to exactly what terminals on the solenoid?

Old 05-24-2013, 06:05 PM   #3

Have you checked with who ever made the vehicle to see if there was a recall on this problum?
Poor decision to just try and shut off the power and not fix the real problum.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:11 PM   #4

For the record, it functions exactly as it should. When the switch is off, the battery is as good as unhooked. Only when the switch is on does the car get power and can I start the car. And yes it clicks. Hopefully this will be better.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:17 PM   #5
Remodel and New Build GC

And on the relay box it came in and probably stamped on it, is it NO (normally open) or NC (normally closed).
Old 05-24-2013, 06:20 PM   #6

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 NO
Old 05-24-2013, 06:38 PM   #7

Oh forgot the other part.. It varies.. The first time I started it a few times to test my work and flipped the switch up and down and all was fine, then on the next try it blew a fuse. Replaced it and tested up and down and on and off again (all once) and then the next time the switch was flipped it blew the fuse. The third time it blew the second I flipped the switch.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:42 PM   #8

I don't see anything wrong that you did to make the fuse blow. Can you find out how much current the solenoid coil is supposed to draw? And do you have a way to measure how much it IS drawing? It shouldn't be anywhere near 20 amps I don't believe. I also see that it's rated for continuous duty which is what you want.

Last edited by zappa; 05-24-2013 at 06:45 PM.
zappa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:44 PM   #9
Remodel and New Build GC

Supernova......

In no certain order.... do you have a good solid ground contact where you attached the solinoid.

In the picture on the left, are we looking at the toggle switch where A and B terminate (guess the camera makes A and B look hugh) and the inline fuse cartridge just north at 11 oclock from the toggle.

Now I'm confussed as to the solinoid. You say 20 amp... but a starter... as you have it wired... is going to pull tens of times that amount. "NO" makes sense, continuous vs momentary makes sense, but I don't understand the 20 amp. It is a 12V solinoid is it not.

Should not matter.... but what kind of car.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:50 PM   #10

I have to say though....this is a stupid way to get around your leakage problem.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:53 PM   #11
Remodel and New Build GC

Guys.... Anyone computer competant... for this post, my computer screen is large or small however you think, and almost impossible to read. If I make the screen smaller to include less than half the screen, the type is too small to read.

Is this just a site or browser issue because the picture is so big.

Any way to correct it... or maybe it's just my computer

Thanks for any computer help
Old 05-24-2013, 06:58 PM   #12

No no no the solenoid isn't 20 amp, the toggle switch is. The Solenoid is rated for 200 amp surge (was told even 150 would be sufficient, but I went with an extra 50 just to be safe). Ground contact perhaps not. If the case of the solenoid isn't grounded the car frame, could that be what is causing the problem?

As for people questioning my decision.. You aren't the ones that've been fighting with this stupid car. As I said in OP I'm done, I'm sick of it.. I'm literally to the point where if one more major thing goes wrong, I'm selling it for scrap and just going to take the 4,000+ dollar loss. Yes, I am THAT fed up with it. So, I don't really care what people think of my decision, I didn't come asking for opinions on whether it's a 'good idea' or not. All I care about at this point is making this car drivable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTN REMODEL LLC View Post
Guys.... Anyone computer competant... for this post, my computer screen is large or small however you think, and almost impossible to read. If I make the screen smaller to include less than half the screen, the type is too small to read.

Is this just a site or browser issue because the picture is so big.

Any way to correct it... or maybe it's just my computer

Thanks for any computer help
You can try dragging the picture to the new tab area if you use Firefox.. I'm not sure if other browsers are similar.

Last edited by IAmSupernova; 05-24-2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:06 PM   #13

If that solenoid draws 20 amps to actuate then you may need to go to a bigger wire and fuse.

How did you try to find the current draw on the system? Back in the day when I did this for a living I sed to connect a test light between the battery terminal and the cable. If there was a draw the light would light up. I then would pull one fuse at a time until the light went out. That would at least narrow it down to a few items to look at. Some newer cars this may not work on though
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:09 PM   #14

Do you not understand my questions or just ignoring them?
Old 05-24-2013, 07:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by zappa View Post
I don't see anything wrong that you did to make the fuse blow. Can you find out how much current the solenoid coil is supposed to draw? And do you have a way to measure how much it IS drawing? It shouldn't be anywhere near 20 amps I don't believe. I also see that it's rated for continuous duty which is what you want.
I have no idea how much it's supposed to draw. I'm just doing what I was told to do after several discussions with several people. I have tried to see what current is being produced, by hooking my multimeter up to the place where the fuse goes and flipping the switch, but my multimeter only handles DC volts up to 10 amps and I got an overload reading.. So no I don't have a way to to measure it.