Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-09-2009, 05:07 AM   #1

Share |

Custom Power Supply: Help Please :|

I have built a 1amp 7.2volt power supply and i'm wondering if it will be able to charge a
7.2volt 1600mAh battery.
please help me.
Thanks In Advance.
tigerpushpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 05:52 AM   #2
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerpushpop View Post
I have built a 1amp 7.2volt power supply and i'm wondering if it will be able to charge a
7.2volt 1600mAh battery.
please help me.
Thanks In Advance.
Well, yes and no. How are you regulating the voltage? How are you preventing the battery from overcharging? What type of battery is it?

You haven't provided enough information about your power supply circuit for us to help.
InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 06:01 AM   #3

I am trying to charge a 7.2v 1600mAh nickel medal hidride 5 cell battery pack and i'm using a variable switch which can take the power supply down to exactly 7.2volts. i have been told that the power supply produces 1 amp and the battery is only 1600mAh.

I'm not quite sure how to stop the battery from over charging, is there a little relay or something that will do it?
tigerpushpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 07:39 AM   #4
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerpushpop View Post
I am trying to charge a 7.2v 1600mAh nickel medal hidride 5 cell battery pack and i'm using a variable switch which can take the power supply down to exactly 7.2volts. i have been told that the power supply produces 1 amp and the battery is only 1600mAh.

I'm not quite sure how to stop the battery from over charging, is there a little relay or something that will do it?
A nickel metal hydride cell is pretty delicate when it comes to charging. You can't just hook it up to a power supply and let it charge. The charge must be controlled by a circuit that can sense when the battery is approaching capacity and shut off the current.

The battery will overheat quickly past 100% charge, and the pressure inside will spike steeply, causing the casing to rupture or explode.

These types of batteries like a three-stage charging scheme. A fast charge rate gets it to 80 or 90% charge. A timed charge tops it off, then a trickle charge "floats" the battery. This is a pretty complicated circuit, and will requires some form of IC control. I suggest you find out who manufactures the battery and contact them to obtain a proper charger.

Wiring the battery to the power supply will drastically shorten its life unless you carefully control the charging time.
InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 09:02 AM   #5

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...es&btnG=Search

Charging at a constant current C/100 rate (16 mA) may be OK or it may not do anything.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote