Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-12-2008, 06:28 PM   #1
Peewee 190

Share |

Crouse Hinds E26095 Panel - need Breakers

I have a Crouse Hinds main panel # E26095. I can not read all of the paper on the inside of the panel as to what breakers I can use. Looks like Crouse Hinds MP, also Murry ?? Does any one have any info as to the types breaker I can use? I need a 100 Amp to run to a new sub panel.

peewee190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 10:50 PM   #2
Electrician

My suggestion is to contact a local electrical supplier. HD or Lowes might know, but I wouldn't count on it. I think Murray used to be interchangeable on a Crouse Hinds panel, don't quote me on that, and I think they had both gotten bought out years ago. Siemens possibly. Some of the Siemens breakers are listed for use on older panels. But it's best to check with a reliable supplier. Are you sure that old Crouse panel can handle a 100 amp breaker for a branch circuit or feeder?? Not trying to be a smart-aleck...just something you'll want to be aware of. Maybe the supply house can get you some info on that too.

SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 04:00 PM   #3
Peewee 190

Thanks for the info. I am going to change out the whole main panel to a Cutler Hammer CH style.
peewee190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 05:52 PM   #4
Electrician

Sounds like a good alternative. & FYI, I usually change out the service entrance cables and the meter socket at the same time. Sometimes the service mast. Depends on the condition of the equipment, and size of the conduit. I live in the snowbelt and see some meter sockets and conduit/fittings that have had their day. When changing out an older panel, I usually change out the cables as a precautionary measure at least. Unless it's completely obvious as to them being newer wires, usually the condition of the insulation is unknown. I recently read in a trade magazine, that though it is unknown as to the lifespan of conductor insulation, it is known that heat will shorten its lifespan.
Good luck with your project!!
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote