Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-21-2012, 03:37 PM   #1

Share |

crimped grounds too short

When I need to tap into a box with crimped grounds, I just cut the wires at the crimp and splice in the new one with a wire nut. But in my house (1975) the crimped grounds are only about 2" long and in some cases even shorter. No way I can figure out to use wire nuts on them. So I add a new box somewhere near the old one, splice in some new cable and fish it to the old box. The new box gets a blank wall plate. But it's a pain and the blank wall plates don't exactly add to the decor.

So, is there any better way to deal with these "too short" crimped grounds? I doubt there's room to use wire nuts on each ground wire individually, in order to make them longer. I guess one solution is to buy a crimper, use crimps to extend each wire. Ugh. Other solutions?

philS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:52 PM   #2

These may work -
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051

tribe_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribe_fan View Post

I've heard of these but never used one. I assume they work better than receptacle backstabs. Are they smaller than a yellow wire nut? If so they might just work. Still, a crimp would take up less space because the pigtail can continue in the same direction as the old wire. But thanks. I'll have a look.
philS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:55 PM   #4
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by philS View Post
I've heard of these but never used one. I assume they work better than receptacle backstabs. Are they smaller than a yellow wire nut? If so they might just work. Still, a crimp would take up less space because the pigtail can continue in the same direction as the old wire. But thanks. I'll have a look.
I used them pretty often over here in France and I have no issue and yeah they are smaller than yellow wirenuts but eaiser to use them and they don't cost very much but it do justifed the cost when you get them.

also it known as Wago connector it simauir to the Ideal as you did hit the link.

So either way will work.

And get couple short peices of extra conductors you will need them anyway.

Merci,
Marc
Old 10-22-2012, 09:26 AM   #5
Licensed electrician

Those connectors in that link are great for your problem. You can hold the ground with needle nose pliers to insert it in the connector.