Creating Mother-In-Law Apartment - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-15-2012, 04:54 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Creating Mother-In-Law Apartment

Hello;

I'm thinking of converting most of the basement of a house into a mother-in-law apartment. I'd like to leave the area with laundry facilities to be common to both the main house and the apartment. It occurs to me that it might be a good idea (and might be required) to have the circuit breakers located in the common area. Currently they are in the mother-in-law part of the basement where the service enters the building.

The question is can I create a pair of sub-panels and move all (or most) of the breakers there? The idea would be to have one sub-panel for the apt and one for the rest of the house - the circuits are pretty well separated by floor.

Would I be correct in assuming that each sub-panel would need a breaker at the main panel? Or could I get by with a disconnect switch at the main panel and move all breakers to the sub-panels?

Sincerely;
Michelle

PS: Is the NEC available online? Hopefully for free?

Advertisement

Michelle96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:32 AM   #2
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle96 View Post
Hello;

I'm thinking of converting most of the basement of a house into a mother-in-law apartment. I'd like to leave the area with laundry facilities to be common to both the main house and the apartment. It occurs to me that it might be a good idea (and might be required) to have the circuit breakers located in the common area. Currently they are in the mother-in-law part of the basement where the service enters the building.

The question is can I create a pair of sub-panels and move all (or most) of the breakers there? The idea would be to have one sub-panel for the apt and one for the rest of the house - the circuits are pretty well separated by floor.

Would I be correct in assuming that each sub-panel would need a breaker at the main panel? Or could I get by with a disconnect switch at the main panel and move all breakers to the sub-panels?

Sincerely;
Michelle

PS: Is the NEC available online? Hopefully for free?
Does your basement have a means of egress other than the stairs?

Advertisement

brric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:21 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by brric View Post
Does your basement have a means of egress other than the stairs?
Hello Brric;

There is a back door (its a daylight basement) about 24" above the basement finished floor in the common area and the garage door will be replaced with some sort of door in the basement apartment area.

So the upstairs tenant can exit normally thru the front door or the back door. The downstairs tenant in the basement apartment can exit via the a door into the common area (and thence thru the back door) or thru the door in what was the garage. (By the way, there are windows in the basement of sufficient size to serve as emergency exits.)
Michelle96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:30 PM   #4
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle96 View Post
Hello Brric;

There is a back door (its a daylight basement) about 24" above the basement finished floor in the common area and the garage door will be replaced with some sort of door in the basement apartment area.

So the upstairs tenant can exit normally thru the front door or the back door. The downstairs tenant in the basement apartment can exit via the a door into the common area (and thence thru the back door) or thru the door in what was the garage. (By the way, there are windows in the basement of sufficient size to serve as emergency exits.)
Excellent.
brric is offline   Reply With Quote