Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-22-2011, 09:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Couple wiring questions

1. I've researched some websites about running wires and I haven't seen too much about standards for attics. I saw standards about basement and crawlspace. Can I run a length of board across the top/middle of my roof arches (as runner boards), run NM cable down either side, and above each room drop it down an arch into the room. Right now, my attic is a mess with cables run across the roof and some run and stapled on arches here and there.

2. I want to get my top floor rewired, right now plugs and lights from different rooms are mixed up on different breakers and almost all my kitchen is on one breaker. There are not any independant circuits for the oven, dishwasher, or refrig. (I'm remodeling the kitchen soon and want to have an electrican come in to take care of the rest of the house too) Most rooms have 3 or 4 plugs and one light. If I have a new cable for each room run from the panel to attic, can they use some sort of terminal block or junction to connect three outlets and one light together. I think it would take more wire to try and rerun a "loop circuit" around a room from the attic. I don't plan to tear up walls, I just want to run all outlets in one room to a central point and connect to the new feed. Twist and nuts would work, but I want something more like a junction box or terminal strip. I want to know what to ask the electrican about before getting quotes.

Thanks,

Charles

cmoe_1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:47 PM   #2
Scared Electrician

Rewards Points: 0

Couple wiring questions

Romex may be strung across attics almost with out restriction. Those restrictions are:

If the attic is used for storage then all wiring must be protected from damage with runner boards

If not used for storage then all wires within 6' of the access hatch must be protected.

Please follow the code - its there for your safety no matter how inconvenient.
Saturday Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote