Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-30-2008, 08:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

couple of outdoor questions

first one...installing a plug on an outside wall ..i got a real deal (free) on a roll of 12/3 outdoor direct burial wire.. (in plastic conduit above ground) i ran this to the outdoor plug (figuring i could use a 20 amp split) but since installing the wire i have been told you can not wire a GFI as a split so my question is can i just roll up the extra wire in the fuse panel, put a wire nut on it and leave it or must i cut it off?

next question..same type of wire ran to my Gazebo..can i wire, say the black and white to a GFI then share the nuetral and go and wire my lights in the gazebo as well with the red as power for the lights

also (i guess a third question) for these GFI outlets, even though i have 12/3 wire should i just use a 15 amp single pole for the 1st GFI and a double pole 15 amp for the Gazebo (plug and lights)

if i have left anything out or confused any one i will add any info you need

billie_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 10:14 PM   #2
Electrician's Helper

Rewards Points: 150
Send a message via AIM to Pudge565

ok here goes your first question i am not sure about. second question no you cannnot share the neutral you would have to run 4 wires for what you propose. and third yes a single breaker for the first is what you want for the second im not sure about ive never really dealt with gfci breakers yet but a pro will come along and correct me if i am worng on anything so you should be fine. since i am still a student i am still learning everyday.

Pudge565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 10:54 PM   #3
Electrician

Rewards Points: 512

Question 1
I would put a marrette on it and leave it in the panel, never know when or why you may need it. Maybe put a piece tape on it telling someone what it is, make sure you do the same in the box with the plug.

Question 2
You can feed the GFI with a 3 wire circuit but you can not go out on the load side of a GFI with a 3 wire circuit. In this situation I would run your 3 wire into a device box. Put the black onto the GFI. Use your red on a seperate feed to power your lights. Connect the two whites together and make a pigtail to go the GFI. Most GFI let you connect two wires on the line side as well. If you have more plugs come off the load side of the GFI and use regular plugs and then all plugs with be protected. Hope this makes sense.

Question 3
It would be perfectly fine to use a 15A breaker on those circuits.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 11:11 PM   #4

[quote=darren;135057]Question 2
You can feed the GFI with a 3 wire circuit but you can not go out on the load side of a GFI with a 3 wire circuit. In this situation I would run your 3 wire into a device box. Put the black onto the GFI. Use your red on a seperate feed to power your lights. Connect the two whites together and make a pigtail to go the GFI. Most GFI let you connect two wires on the line side as well. If you have more plugs come off the load side of the GFI and use regular plugs and then all plugs with be protected. Hope this makes sense.

If i am understading you darren....i could run my 12/3 to my gazebo and bring it into a (pardon the term) "splitter box"..then use 12/2 to go to my GFI and another 12/2 to go to my lights and this would allow the GFI to work properly and share my neutral?
Old 06-30-2008, 11:13 PM   #5
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,114

[QUOTE=billie_t;135062]
Quote:
Originally Posted by darren View Post
Question 2

If i am understading you darren....i could run my 12/3 to my gazebo and bring it into a (pardon the term) "splitter box"..then use 12/2 to go to my GFI and another 12/2 to go to my lights and this would allow the GFI to work properly and share my neutral?
That is correct sir! I would put them on a douoble pole breaker also.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:24 PM   #6

[quote=jbfan;135064]
Quote:
Originally Posted by billie_t View Post

That is correct sir! I would put them on a douoble pole breaker also.
thank you all so much...i didn't want to have to dig in another line and poke a hole in my wall

yes jb the gazebo will be on a double pole breaker

again thank you all for steering me in the right direction

this should get me close to final inspection
this job has been big (for me)
had to put in a new pole...install a new underground service and wire a new room and another sub panel (i now have 2 subs and a main in the house)...of course i hired an electrician for all this but the gazebo wasn't up yet, nor the patio poured so i am trying to finish these two things on my own.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:44 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,004

What they mean is if you use a 3 wire circuit (multiwire circuit) you must use a doulble pole breaker or two singles with the handle ties connected by a UL listed device.

When I did my gazebo I just ran 3 wires. Hot, Neutral and ground. One 20 amp circuit. Just bring the wires to GFCI recept box first. (get a extra deep box for this one). Especially if your using UF. Then attach any other loads like recepts ceiling fan to the load side of the GFCI. Don't forget to mark the panel as to were these circuits go.

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote