Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-01-2010, 10:20 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Couple of easy (I think) questions...

Since I'm finally getting to the hands-on part of my project, I had a couple of questions that I think should be easy enough. Figured I'd just post them all here in hopes of getting answers rather than cluttering up the forum with any more of my threads.

• When using Wagos, is it ok to "oversize" the connector to the # of wires coming in so there are empty "holes"? I was hoping to buy a bulk of one size (probably 4 hole) for most stuff and then supplementing with bigger if ever needed, rather than needing bits and pieces of different sizes.
  • What are the appropriate staples for 8/3 cable? Sounds easy enough, but I'm paranoid about "listed application" after reading so many threads on here, and only see sizes for 10/3 and 6/3 SE on GB's site.
  • What's the appropriate way to transition said 8/3 cable running horizontally and covered (in a ceiling) through a wall and then perpendicularly straight down the wall (exposed and sleeved in 1" EMT) to a subpanel in a garage? I had asked a similar question previously, but I think the assumption at that point was that we'd be coming from the ceiling rather than the wall. I want to make sure that I have a gradual enough curve coming out of the wall, but have concerns about damage protection. I'm worried that a 1" 90 degree emt elbow might stick out too far. Would a pull elbow or LB or other conduit body work?
  • If running multiple circuits in conduit, is it ok for wires to pass through a jbox intact if they aren't doing anything there or do they need to be spliced at every box? I've got a vague memory of a thread at some point indicating that they needed to be spliced, but I'm thinking that I may be mis-remembering.
Thanks again for the assistance. All of the info on here has been fantastically beneficial in the yr+ that I've been planning this project.

Mike

tigereye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:07 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigereye View Post
When using Wagos, is it ok to "oversize" the connector to the # of wires coming in so there are empty "holes"? I was hoping to buy a bulk of one size (probably 4 hole) for most stuff and then supplementing with bigger if ever needed, rather than needing bits and pieces of different sizes.
Yes, no problem.

Quote:
What are the appropriate staples for 8/3 cable? Sounds easy enough, but I'm paranoid about "listed application" after reading so many threads on here, and only see sizes for 10/3 and 6/3 SE on GB's site.
The 6/3 staple should work fine on the 8/3 cable.

Quote:
What's the appropriate way to transition said 8/3 cable running horizontally and covered (in a ceiling) through a wall and then perpendicularly straight down the wall (exposed and sleeved in 1" EMT) to a subpanel in a garage? I had asked a similar question previously, but I think the assumption at that point was that we'd be coming from the ceiling rather than the wall. I want to make sure that I have a gradual enough curve coming out of the wall, but have concerns about damage protection. I'm worried that a 1" 90 degree emt elbow might stick out too far. Would a pull elbow or LB or other conduit body work?
I'd just stick the EMT straight up, with the end above the ceiling, and install a bushing on the end to protect the wire:

Quote:
If running multiple circuits in conduit, is it ok for wires to pass through a jbox intact if they aren't doing anything there or do they need to be spliced at every box? I've got a vague memory of a thread at some point indicating that they needed to be spliced, but I'm thinking that I may be mis-remembering.
Passing conductors thru a junction box is fine. They would only count as "one" wire if they are left intact without splicing. If you cut and splice `em, then it counts as 2 wires.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:33 PM   #3

Sparky,

Thanks for taking the time to answer me. Still had one small clarification on the question regarding the conduit sleeve. The cable will be above the ceiling line in the basement, but not above the ceiling in the garage. (The garage's ceiling is about a foot higher because of HVAC, etc in the basement). So, I wouldn't be able to run straight through the ceiling at that point.

I put together a quick picture to show what I'm talking about. Not sure if it will help.

tigereye is offline   Reply With Quote