Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-21-2013, 01:27 PM   #1

Share |

Countersunk & door covered electrical box

I am in the process of a remodel project in the master bedroom. We have a wireless panel for the security system that uses a 110 transformer and a proprietary DC connection to the panel.

The 110 plug transformer size and appearance is similar to a cell phone charger or any other 110 to DC (clunky) transformers you can imagine.

The security access panel is eye height and the existing 110 NEMA 15 electrical box is at the same height adjacent to the security panel.

My question is: is there some countersunk and covered electrical box with an access door (that could be painted to match the wall) with a NEMA 15 amp lug that would allow the transformer to fit behind the box access door?

The wall is a 2x4 stud interior wall and is currently open (i.e. studs and no sheet rock) at this time. Before I cover with sheet rock, Iím looking for some alternative to the (ugly) transformer hanging on a NEMA 15 amp plug.

If a electrical box is available that would be flush to the stud walls with an integral access door with the 110 NEMA 15 amp plug SIDE MOUNTED and with sufficient room for the transformer to plug into, I wouldnít have the ugly transformer hanging eye height on the 15 Amp plug.

If there is no ready made product; my alternative could be a standard (plastic) box mounted against (sidewise) on the stud with the transformer and make a small wooden 8Ē rectangular (painted) access door with a magnet latch. The box and transformer would then be accessible by opening the door. It wouldn't be elegant but better than looking at the transformer.

If the later case, does this meet US Electrical Code? I canít find any reference to stay yea or nay. If there is such a off the shelf interior box, can you please point me to the web location?

Thanks, Ken
TCRken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:31 PM   #2

There is no reason you couldn't mount the box sideways and create your own door. As long as you can access it you will be fine. You could leave it open and hang a picture or mirror over it.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:16 PM   #3

Small reccessed medicine chest comes to mind.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...nets&FORM=IGRE
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:56 AM   #4

Thanks for the input.

I'll look for a small plastic cabinet and if I can't find one fairly quickly, I'll mount the box to the stud and put in a little 6"-8" wood door with a magnet latch.
TCRken is offline   Reply With Quote