Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-15-2009, 12:26 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

could this work?

I posted earlier about my dilema, and think I can further clarify what I am trying to do, so here it goes. I have a ceiling light (box "C") that is controlled by 2 switches, 1 upstairs (box "A") and 1 downstairs (box "B"). A 3 way switch or curcuit I guess? I swapped out the light w/ a fan/light combo with a remote switch transmitter installed above the fan, so I can install 2 wall mount remote switches 1 at box"A" and 1 at box"B"

The wiring is layed out as follows: Box "A" contains 3 wires, 1 runs to box "C" and has a black, a white, and a bare. Wire 2 is the feed and has a black, a white, and a bare. Wire 3 runs downstairs to box "B", it has a black, a white, a bare, and a RED.

The remote switches have 3 wires, 2 black 1 green. The instructions say connect each black wire to a black wire from switch box, and connect green to ground.

Here is where I get lost, is there any way to configure this wiring to accept these switches? I installed the remote system so I could have control of the light from the top and bottom of the stairwell without needing to go half way up or down in the dark to pull the light chain. Hope I explained myself clearly!!!

akchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 02:32 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

could this work?

It takes learning to be able to do electrical wiring. And you can't modify something unless you know completely how it works.

So the first thing is to learn how your light is wired. Then draw a wiring diagram of exactly how everything is wired.

Is there a 3-way switch or not? You need to know this!

You might want to read a book on electrical wiring cover to cover, then you might be better able to understand how your house is wired.

Then learn how to use a continuity tester or ohm meter (multimeter) so you can trace your existing wiring.

Then once you can draw an accurate wiring diagram, post it here.

Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 07:27 PM   #3
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

could this work?

Quote:
...The wiring is layed out as follows: Box "A" contains 3 wires, 1 runs to box "C" and has a black, a white, and a bare. Wire 2 is the feed and has a black, a white, and a bare. Wire 3 runs downstairs to box "B", it has a black, a white, a bare, and a RED....
Here is how to do it:

At the top of the stairs (Box A) --->

Connect all bare/ground wires together with a wire-nut.

Connect all the white wires together with a wire-nut.

Connect the incoming feed black wire to the black wire in cable #3 with a wire-nut.

Connect one of the switch leads to the remaining black wire which goes to the fan/light; and the other switch lead to the red wire.

At the bottom of the stairs (Box B) --->

Connect your grounds together with a wire-nut.
Connect one of the switch leads to the black wire, the other to the red wire. Cap off the white wire with a wire-nut and tuck into the back of the box (not used in this application).

This scenario places both the switches in series, so that either one should be able to disconnect power to the fan when set to the "off" position.

Let us know if this works for you.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:51 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

could this work?

Thanks kbsparky! That advice is exactly what I been searchin for, got a book from home depot today, was gonna study tonite, I'll do what you described in the morning and let ya know how it goes, can't wait thanks in advance!!!!
akchris is offline   Reply With Quote