Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-20-2011, 01:02 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Could use some advice about this circuit...

Could really use some advice about this circuit....

3 outlets, one is an all location gfi, two single pole switches and two lights...

I wired the gfi for the load from the source line on the bottom two connectors. I then pig tailed to the load side and from the pig tail ran to an outlet and from there another outlet. The pigtail also went to the two switches and two lights.

When I turned on the breaker, only the gfi had power.

Can't I pigtail the load side of the gfi?

Thanks Dave

Last edited by Daverimmer; 04-20-2011 at 01:04 AM. Reason: Spelling
Daverimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:56 AM   #2
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Rewards Points: 2,010

I can't tell what you did from that description. Here's how it should go: The incoming line should feed the GFCI's "line" terminals, and also branch to the switch and lights. You should wire the remaining two receptacles to the GFCI's "load" terminals. That's it. Is this how you have it wired?

mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 04:41 AM   #3

No, grimace, I don't. I have it as u described except I have everything wired to the load side - all other outlets, lights and switches.... This won't work?
Old 04-20-2011, 05:51 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daverimmer
No, grimace, I don't. I have it as u described except I have everything wired to the load side - all other outlets, lights and switches.... This won't work?
Is there a particular reason you want the lights and switches on the load side of the GFCI? If the GFCI trips you will lose your downstream lights and switches. In some jurisdictions you aren't allowed to wire it like that if you lose the primary lighting in the area when the GFCI trips.
clydesdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 05:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydesdale View Post
Is there a particular reason you want the lights and switches on the load side of the GFCI? If the GFCI trips you will lose your downstream lights and switches. In some jurisdictions you aren't allowed to wire it like that if you lose the primary lighting in the area when the GFCI trips.
I was trying to protect the entire circuit but no, the lights don't have to be wired on the load side. Should they be pigtailed into the line side?
Old 04-20-2011, 07:06 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daverimmer

I was trying to protect the entire circuit but no, the lights don't have to be wired on the load side. Should they be pigtailed into the line side?
As mpoulton stated the circuit for the lights and switches should branch from the line side. Make sure your box is big enough as it sounds like you will have a GFCI receptacle with 3 cables in there. What room is this for?
clydesdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:13 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,026

At least it should have worked if you pigtailed to the load terminals as you described.

Don't forget that all loads fed by the load side of the GFCI have their neutrals connected to and only to the load side.

For good measure, measure the voltage across the two load terminals. If the GFCI receptacle is live then these terminals should be live also. Tripping the GFCI (press the test button) should kill the GFCI receptacle too.

Last edited by AllanJ; 04-20-2011 at 07:17 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:03 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,646

Wiring the light and switches won't cause the circuit to not work. It will cause the lights to go out if the GFCI is tripped. You have another issue. Either you have the LINE and LOAD terminals backwards or the GFCI is defective or you have a wiring issue further down teh circuit that is affecting all of LOADs.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:27 PM   #9
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

If it's wired as you describe, it should be working - unless there's something different that we're not understanding. You have the load neutrals connected only to the GFCI load-side neutral terminal, right? No connections from the load side to the line side of the GFCI? Line and load not reversed?
Old 04-20-2011, 05:24 PM   #10

here is a diagrahm of the circuit showing how i loaded the lights and outlets off the GFI outlet. I am going to remove the light circuits and add them to the line connectors of the GFI.

I am thinking that maybe I put the ground wire from an outlet on the gfi and not the line ground. Would that make this not work?

I get power at the GFI but none of the other outlets, switches or lights.

Last edited by Daverimmer; 04-20-2011 at 05:39 PM. Reason: editing
Old 04-20-2011, 06:21 PM   #11
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Are line and load reversed at the GFCI? Do the test and reset functions work as expected (tripping turns off power to the receptacle, resetting turns it back on)? If so, the next step is to check voltage on the load terminals of the GFCI and see if you have the load wires physically connected properly (insulation not stripped far enough, maybe?).
Old 04-20-2011, 09:19 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,646

Wiring the light and switches won't cause the circuit to not work. It will cause the lights to go out if the GFCI is tripped. You have another issue. Either you have the LINE and LOAD terminals backwards or the GFCI is defective or you have a wiring issue further down teh circuit that is affecting all of LOADs.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:46 AM   #13

Thanks for all the advice. I only get to work on this house on Sunday's so I will report back here after my next attempt.

Dave
Old 05-02-2011, 10:07 AM   #14

Well heck, went out and rewired the circuit, putting the lights on the load side. Flipped the breaker and.....nothing, again! Examined everything and realized I hadn't yet pressed the reset on the GFI. Pressed reset and damn it worked! Christ I felt like such a dumb ass.

Thanks folks for your help.

Dave
Old 05-02-2011, 10:24 AM   #15
Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daverimmer View Post
Well heck, went out and rewired the circuit, putting the lights on the load side. Flipped the breaker and.....nothing, again! Examined everything and realized I hadn't yet pressed the reset on the GFI. Pressed reset and **** it worked! ****** I felt like such a **** ***.

Thanks folks for your help.

Dave
Yep...that'll do it. I've had some GFI receptacles pop the reset button out when the breaker is first turned on. Dunno know why...some do, some don't.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote