Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-10-2008, 12:44 PM   #1
DIY'er

Share |

Could I move my Meter & Power Drop to the Side of my house?

I am wonder if it would be possible to move my power meter to a better location so it is not going though my tree. I did trim a lot of the tree last night, but I think I would still rather have the meter in a different spot. The thing I don't know, is if the power co can run a drop to my house from the middle of a run between 2 poles or if it has to come directly from a pole. I have taken some photos and make a drawing to help show my setup.

The Large Red Line is the current drop. The orange line is where I think the drop should be. You can see there is a pole in the far back corner and one in the front all the way across the street. I don't want a new pole installed.

Photo of the current meter drop / setup

The Meter:

The pole I currently connect to:

The side of the house where I think the power drop should be - so it is not near any trees:

I am sure the power co will come out and talk to me about this, I just wanted to get an idea if something like this is possible or even if it is a good idea.

Thanks
Jamie

jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 02:56 PM   #2

It is possible. It's called a mid span drop. Only your POCO can answer whether or not it will be permitted.
You should also realize that the unfused line from the POCO coming into your house must kept a short as possible. That usually means less than 5' inside the house. Your main disconnect will need to be moved if you intend to enter the house at the new location and run cable over to the existing box.

joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:18 PM   #3
Electrical Contractor

You could always pay for an underground install.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:45 AM   #4

jamiedolan, What about a mid-span drop/tap perpendicular to the house. Will that miss the tree as much as you want? It looks like the addition next to the meter location is low enough to have the service pass over it. Talk to the POCO. You'll also have to have the upper part of the service (mast) in pipe (pvc or metal); you're less than 3' from that window. Have you decided if you're going to upgrade your service to 200A from the 100A pushmatic or just add the sub? pete
petey_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 07:51 AM   #5
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
It is possible. It's called a mid span drop. Only your POCO can answer whether or not it will be permitted.
You should also realize that the unfused line from the POCO coming into your house must kept a short as possible. That usually means less than 5' inside the house. Your main disconnect will need to be moved if you intend to enter the house at the new location and run cable over to the existing box.

Could I use one of thoses combo meter boxes with breakers in it then make the run all the way to my breaker off the outside box?

Otherwise, would I just have to put in a simple 200A disconnect, then run a feed to the main box?
Thanks!
Jamie
Old 09-12-2008, 07:54 AM   #6
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfan View Post
You could always pay for an underground install.
I'd be interested in this, however I was under the impression they don't do this in my area since no one else has any underground service. What kind of prices do you see for a underground install?

I'll make some more calls to the poco folks and will mention that I want a quote on this as well if it is possible.

Thanks
Jamie
Old 09-12-2008, 08:04 AM   #7
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by petey_c View Post
jamiedolan, What about a mid-span drop/tap perpendicular to the house. Will that miss the tree as much as you want? It looks like the addition next to the meter location is low enough to have the service pass over it. Talk to the POCO. You'll also have to have the upper part of the service (mast) in pipe (pvc or metal); you're less than 3' from that window. Have you decided if you're going to upgrade your service to 200A from the 100A pushmatic or just add the sub? pete
I decided it isn't worth adding a sub panel right now due to the cost of the pushmatic breakers (to feed the sub). So my plan is to install the SD QO 200 amp 42 slot load center. Depending on what decisions are made with the outside service and what costs may end up being involved there, I may have to wait a little while before I do the upgrade to 200A.

So My plan is that in the very near future, I am going to pull the pushmatic panel, and install a QO 42 position box and add in a 100A breaker and back feed in the power to the box from with the 100A breaker. Then when the outside drop and meter is upgraded to 200A, I can just switch to the 200A breaker.

I also did a lot of trimming on the tree myself in the past 2 days now. I am sure I was more selective than with my cuts than the power company would have been. I have read that WE energies are really butchering trees. So now I hope with my tree trimming, that even if we have to re-run the drop in the same location that the power co will leave my tree alone now that I trimmed out around the power line.

Thanks
Jamie
Old 07-28-2010, 11:42 AM   #8

If I were you buddy I would worry more about cutting limbs from tree and clearing away anything in and around those power wires that is a huge fire risk also you have great chance of electrical harm or death also I noticed from some of the limbs hanging above your roof and that could be a major cost should it break, also the leave and other debree caused by tree cause premature roof rot. dont get me wrong I love trees and flowers

peterwoodnut
peterwoodnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 05:13 PM   #9
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiedolan View Post
I also did a lot of trimming on the tree myself in the past 2 days now. I am sure I was more selective than with my cuts than the power company would have been. I have read that WE energies are really butchering trees. So now I hope with my tree trimming, that even if we have to re-run the drop in the same location that the power co will leave my tree alone now that I trimmed out around the power line.
I second peterwoodnut's advice - don't mess with that tree! The top wire on those poles carries 7200 volts, and it's not insulated. Wood conducts pretty well at that voltage. Even brushing a branch against that line while you're touching the tree could kill you, or at least make you fall. There used to be a disturbing video on Youtube of two tree trimmers (in Brazil, I think?) tangling with this exact situation. It's not clear that either of them survived. That video was removed, but If you search Youtube for "power line burning tree" you'll find a different video which will definitely make you leave this tree alone.
mpoulton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 05:16 PM   #10

This thread is almost 2 years old

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote