DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   Cost of rewiring (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/cost-rewiring-98159/)

SHARPAU 03-12-2011 06:57 PM

Cost of rewiring
 
What would it cost to rewire a 3000 sq ft house built in the early 1920's

nap 03-12-2011 07:02 PM

$43,297.88

oh'mike 03-12-2011 07:08 PM

There are just so many variable that must be seen,you will need to get a couple of electricians in to give you prices.

These are a few things that affect the time and costs.

Is the service to the house (breaker box) up to date?

Is the house wired in conduit? (tubing with the wires inside)

Has the basement been finished?(Possibly hiding the location of electric boxes)

The size of the house

Call --ask friends if they know any good electricians that do residential rewiring.

Good luck---Mike---(and welcome to the site)

chronojosh 03-12-2011 07:11 PM

There are a lot of variables that can change how much the cost is. How many receptacles and circuits you have; wire gauges, and even what breakers you buy. I have rewired my kitchen, living room, and one bedroom with all using 12/2 and some 12/3. for lights and receptacles. I have used about 5 rolls so far at ~ $80 per roll = ~ $ 400. It also depends on what else is wrong that you need to bring up to code to pass inspection - new gang boxes, are there any structural issues, cost of new receptacles and fixtures. All of these things can drive your costs up or down. Hope that helps some, because there is a lot to consider.

Do It Right 03-12-2011 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nap (Post 608021)
$43,297.88

:laughing::laughing:

I like it!....
Let me go on a web forum and ask for a quote without so much as mentioning where i need the work, or what needs to be done!...or maybe...I don't know.......a PICTURE.

They forgot to mention the house is on a remote island, so you need to include a boat.....and the nearest supply house is in the next state.

Doc Holliday 03-12-2011 08:10 PM

With my electrical contracting company the base charge per level is 10k WITHOUT panel upgrades regardless of if they are small, single story 800 sq ft homes. Old knob and tube to new romex. All to code and inspected.

Panel upgrades starting at around 2k.

That's considered more than reasonable for my part of the world and we do plenty of them.

Speedy Petey 03-12-2011 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Holliday (Post 608047)
With my electrical contracting company the base charge per level is 10k .........

How can you put ANY "base charge" on a level???
One might have the kitchen, one might have just two bedrooms, one might have everything.

And what do you base this $10 grand on? Sq/ft?
One might be 800 sq/ft, one might be 1500 sq/ft.

WHY bother putting an arbitrary price on it at all? :huh:


SHARPAU, without a LOT more detail, your question is unanswerable. It's not even worth guessing at, although I think Nap nailed the price dead on. :thumbsup:

Knowing your location would be a nice place to start. :whistling2:

frenchelectrican 03-12-2011 08:43 PM

I agree with Speedy Pete with this comment and if you really stated what area you are in that will help a bit but far for the house type it will varies a bit and I have no excat figures at all and what it need to be done.

Doc ., Majorty of the time I work on older home the first thing it will address first is load centré get that taken care first then deal with the rest after that and that useally done right not the otherway around.

Merci.
Marc

Doc Holliday 03-12-2011 08:52 PM

Hey guys, I'm not the owner nor do I do the pricing. I only have spoken with the owner and found out a few things. A base price is just that and it's in a quote and any and all customers are free to hire or not hire us. We will not do a re-wire without a panel upgrade as well.

nap 03-12-2011 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Holliday (Post 608067)
Hey guys, I'm not the owner nor do I do the pricing. I only have spoken with the owner and found out a few things. A base price is just that and it's in a quote and any and all customers are free to hire or not hire us. We will not do a re-wire without a panel upgrade as well.

Ok, I have a 36,000 square foot house, all one level. 3 panels and I'm more than willing to upgrade them at the same time. Most of the ceilings are 10 feet but about 5k sq ft has 25 ft ceilings with about 100 can lights in place. So, $16k to rewire it sounds good to me. Good for you?



a generic price is a disservice to the company as well as the customer.

Doc Holliday 03-12-2011 09:05 PM

Btw, I have yet to walk into a home that has no kitchen or baths but only a bedroom or two.

Doc Holliday 03-12-2011 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nap (Post 608079)
Ok, I have a 36,000 square foot house, all one level. 3 panels and I'm more than willing to upgrade them at the same time. Most of the ceilings are 10 feet but about 5k sq ft has 25 ft ceilings with about 100 can lights in place. So, $16k to rewire it sounds good to me. Good for you?



a generic price is a disservice to the company as well as the customer.

off the bat and by your attitude alone as you know not who I am or how we work, only that you think you are something to me as you don't agree with me, starting bid is half a million without panels.

gregzoll 03-12-2011 09:11 PM

$70/hr union wages, $150 per outlet, $200/hr for homeowner intrusion fee while work is being performed. Total time on site, 48-72 hrs. Call back wage, $150 first half, $75 for each half hour after that to correct any problems caused by the homeowner making changes to your work.

nap 03-12-2011 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Holliday (Post 608085)
off the bat and by your attitude alone as you know not who I am or how we work, only that you think you are something to me as you don't agree with me, starting bid is half a million without panels.

Too late. You already made the offer of $16k, panels included.

and as far as having an attitude? You haven't seen me with an attitude. I was being nice just trying to make a point. There was no "attitude" included in my post.

If you want a war, I would suggest you go elsewhere. If you want to stick around and be a welcomed member, you might want to calm down a bit.

Doc Holliday 03-12-2011 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nap (Post 608094)
Too late. You already made the offer of $16k, panels included.

and as far as having an attitude? You haven't seen me with an attitude. I was being nice just trying to make a point. There was no "attitude" included in my post.

If you want a war, I would suggest you go elsewhere. If you want to stick around and be a welcomed member, you might want to calm down a bit.


my apologies, I took what you said as if you were giving me attitude but to answer your question then, I do believe that there are limitations as to how much sq footage per base price in included, max, and I don't think the first 10k covers more than possibly 2000, I don't know for sure what it is. Again, I am not the owner nor do I do pricing.

I would prefer to not get into this any further as it's not my specialty.

Your Huckleberry,

Doc Holliday


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:25 PM.


Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved