Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-19-2006, 03:57 PM   #1

Share |

Cost of a box swap?

I'm having a box switched out. Right now it's got 16 breakers, and all are filled up. I need room for some more circuits, so I'm having a 30 or 40 circuit box installed. I need the 2 ground rods installed out back, as well as the ground wire run from the water ground 20 feet to the box. The basement is unfinished, so the electrician won't be contending with any drywall. A couple electricians said the wires out back running to the meter won't need to be touched. Any idea on average price? Am I leaving anything out that'd help you guys gives me an average estimate?

Thanks!
Jay

CuriousJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 05:43 PM   #2

Cost of a box swap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousJay View Post
Am I leaving anything out that'd help you guys gives me an average estimate?

Thanks!
Jay

Yeah, where do you live?

Sparky Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 06:35 PM   #3
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Cost of a box swap?

Quote:
A couple electricians said the wires out back running to the meter won't need to be touched.
I seriously doubt this! If you only have a 16 space panel now upgrading to a 200 amp (40 space) requires replacement of ALL service equipment rated for 100 amps.

Price? $1400 - $3000, depending on location.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:53 PM   #4

Cost of a box swap?

Quote:
A couple electricians said the wires out back running to the meter won't need to be touched.
Perhaps the electricians said this because they are not allowed to touch it(power company's wires).

Perhaps you caught them thinking out loud, meaning if that wire is big enough then they don't need to have the power company come out and change it, meaning they don't have to call an inspector, meaning they are probably not licesned.
Sparky Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 11:31 AM   #5
Electrical contractor

Cost of a box swap?

It may be their intention to replace your panel with a thirty-circuit 100-amp loadcenter. If your cables are ok and the load is acceptable, there is no reason to install a 200-amp service.
With permit and inspection, it would cost $1000 here, more if you have to change the tail to the meter. If the meter doesn't survive the cable change [50/50 chance] you are going for the whole job - maybe $1500.
RobertWilber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 09:07 AM   #6
registered

Cost of a box swap?

Question. Say like the meter did need to be changed. Is that a free service from the electric company or do they charge for that. I really like those new digital ones that got out. Mine is the old spinning kind. In the event its not free how much does the electric company slam you for that?
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 07:39 PM   #7
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Cost of a box swap?

What purpose would that digital meter serve you as a homeowner?
Old 12-29-2006, 12:08 AM   #8
registered

Cost of a box swap?

I just said i think there cool looking. They have one mounted on the side of the dollar store. You cant miss it its on the parking lot side of the store and you have to walk by it.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 04:53 PM   #9

Cost of a box swap?

Some of the new digital meters allow the POCO to charge you a lower rate during low usage times, at night for example to heat hot water. I doubt they would change it for free unless it was part of an overall upgrade they were doing to their entire system.

joed is online now   Reply With Quote