Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-06-2007, 03:40 PM   #1

Share |

Is this a cose violation

Hello,

I have an attached garage on my house. All the plugs and lights in the garage are tied into 1 15 amp breaker. The garage door opener is plugged into the ceiling. I have had the breaker trip and the garage door looses power as well. Is this a violation or just done wrong? The company that wired my new house is not interested in helping out. I am located in Louisville, KY

Thanks in advance for your help,
Ben

Last edited by Century; 12-07-2007 at 11:15 AM.
Century is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 03:55 PM   #2

Is this a cose violation

It may or may not be a code violation. It could be a bad opener, a bad breaker, too much load on the circuit or an intermittant short. Do some detective work. Find out what's on the circuit with the opener. Trace all the switches, outlets, lights and what's plugged into them. Somewhere in the circuit is the answer.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 04:05 PM   #3

Is this a cose violation

Hi ron,

All the plugs, light and switches are tied in with the plug for the door opener. When the breaker trips all lights and plugs go out. The garage door is not what is tripping the breaker. The breaker will trip without the door being used. I was told that the garage door was to be on a separate breaker in case the current breaker tripped I would still be able to open the garage.

Thanks,
Ben
Old 12-06-2007, 05:31 PM   #4

Is this a cose violation

You have troubleshooting issues to deal with there. It is not feasible to trouble shoot over the internet. Find an electrician there to solve the problem and then send the bill to the builder. Finally take them to small claims once they ignore the bill. Be safe.
kgphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 07:04 PM   #5

Is this a cose violation

I don't know of a code that specifies a garage door opener gets a seperate breaker. You mention that the electricians will have nothing to do with it. Is the house under warranty? How long was the electricians work guarranteed for?
Short term, it doesn't matter. Short term, the question is, what is the problem ? As a point of interest, the garage door has a release cord, that when pulled, will release the door from the track so it can be opened the old fashioned way. By lifting it up.
As kpphoto said, this is troubleshooting. If you don't have any experience with this, you need to call an electrician to fix the problem. You can deal with the builder/electrician after it's fixed.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 10:33 PM   #6
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Is this a cose violation

Hello Century

Who said we can't troubleshoot over the internet??.......

If this is a new home and all the lights and receptacles in the garage are on the same breaker then there has to be a gfci involved somewhere. Is the breaker a gfci breaker? Or is one of the receptacles a gfci receptacle?
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 11:05 PM   #7

Is this a cose violation

Thanks Stubbie. It is a new home. I am not sure about the type of breaker or receptacles. But I will be finding out. I have a State inspector calling me tomorrow.

Ben
Old 12-06-2007, 11:42 PM   #8
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Is this a cose violation

Century

This is a gfci breaker...

This is a gfci receptacle... they don't all have the red button.

Last edited by Stubbie; 12-06-2007 at 11:45 PM.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:57 PM   #9

Is this a cose violation

I ment to say no on the receptacles. I checked the breaker and no that is not the kind it is. So no on both.

Thanks Again
Old 12-07-2007, 12:08 AM   #10
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Is this a cose violation

OK there is probably a gfci receptacle in the house that protects the garage receptacles this is a code requirement for all garage receptacles. It could be one in the basement or elsewhere. It would not be required to protect the garage door opener receptacle if it is in the ceiling.

What things are plugged in and operating when the breaker trips include the lights. You said the opener motor doesn't need to be running. So we need to make sure what is operating doesn't exceed 15 amps. You need to find everthing that quits working with the breaker off because we need to know the load on this branch circuit.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:41 AM   #11
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Is this a cose violation

Stibbie's thinking is right on.

Also, how new is new? Most every area has at least a one year warranty mandated by the state or local authority.

One 15A circuit to a whole garage, lighting AND receptacles, is a joke. The installer was a hack.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:43 AM   #12

Is this a cose violation

How new is the house? You have a garage receptacle and an opener receptacle, what other receptacles are on this circuit?
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 11:24 AM   #13

Is this a cose violation

The House is brand new. I am the first person to live here. There are 4 receptacles, 2 lights inside, with 2 outside lights on the garage. The opener is plugged into one of the receptacles on the ceiling.
The electrical contractor has been very rude when I have spoken to them. Today I even have breakers tripping in the bedroom. I am thinking of having the whole house inspected.

Thanks,
Ben
Old 12-07-2007, 11:47 AM   #14

Is this a cose violation

Hack job. Perfect description on the install. 15 amp circuit for the WHOLE garage. Dispicable.
Contact the builder right away since this is a brand new house.
The dedicated circuit for the opener while not required, is sure darn good thinking.
In a standard two car garage, (2) twenty amp circuits sounds about right, from a design standpoint.
I would have concerns regarding the whole job.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 11:51 AM   #15

Is this a cose violation

I am thinking of paying to have it all inspected.

Thanks,
Ben