DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Is this correct regarding 20amp circuit and 15amp receptacles

9K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  Power Up 
#1 · (Edited)
I was told that its standard to put 15amp receptacles on a 20amp circuit as long as its a duplex receptacle and/or more than 1 thing is running on the circuit.

Here is my current config:
20amp circuit breaker

• 1 switch to wall light in bathroom 1
  • 1 switch to wall light in bathroom 2
  • 1 doorbell
Here is what I want to do
  • 1 doorbell
  • 1 switch to ceiling vent in bathroom 1
  • 1 switch to celiing vent in bathroom 2
  • 1 duplex GFCI receptacle in bathroom 1
  • 1 duplex GFCI receptacle in bathroom 2
So is it true that I can use 15amp GFCIs and switches on that circuit?

See less See more
#2 ·
I was told that its standard to put 15amp receptacles on a 20amp circuit as long as its a duplex receptacle and/or more than 1 thing is running on the circuit.

Yes you are correct in what you heard. You can put duplex outlets rated at 15 amps on a 20 amp circuit so long as you have more than 1 outlet.

The doorbell should not however be on this same circuit, I would look to see if you can move it to a different circuit. 2 bathrooms on the same 20 amp circuit I believe is "ok" but it would certainly be better if you could put them each on their own separate 20 amp circuit. Other than that, just make sure this circuit(s) do not leave the bathroom area to feed other loads (like the doorbell).

#4 ·
2 bathrooms on the same 20 amp circuit I believe is "ok" but it would certainly be better if you could put them each on their own separate 20 amp circuit. Other than that, just make sure this circuit(s) do not leave the bathroom area to feed other loads (like the doorbell).

Thanks for the response. Its an old house, so adding a new circuit and running the wire wouldnt be easy. The 1st bathroom isnt used much, so there wouldn't be a load on each bathroom at the same time.

Why would it not be ok to leave the doorbell on that circuit? I could see about moving it to another location, but it seems like its a low power device and wouldn't hurt leaving it were its at.

#3 ·
The (2) GFCIs should be separate from the rest, on their own circuit, or each on an individual 20 amp circuit.

In addition to being Code, it's good design. There are some heavy loads that can be plugged in bathroom receptacles. (Hair dryers, etc.)

Even if each one is an individual circuit, a 15 amp GFCI can be used, assuming it is a duplex.

#5 ·
Not an electrician, but you may service one entire bathroom (outlets, lights..) on one 20A circuit. Nothing else on this circuit. Your other option is to place multiple bathroom outlets only on the same circuit, again nothing else (don't recommend). You may combine bathroom lights on a general circuit.

Just make sure that if you have a heat lamp or similar in the bathroom, see the mfgr. specs if that needs its own circuit.

#7 ·
One other question - are you sure this is a 20 amp circuit? It seems strange there is a 20 amp circuit for 2 lights and a chime.

#11 ·
The code for bathrooms receptacles is this.

The bathroom receptacle must be a 20 amp circuit.
There are two senarios.
1. Other items can be on the 20 amp bathroom receptacle circuit IF they are in the same bathroom. The 20 amp circuit can not feed anything outside its bathroom.
2. The 20 amp receptacle circuit can feed other receptacles in other bathrooms. It can not feed anything but receptacles in bathrooms. No lights or fans etc allowed.

So your plan to add 2 bathroom receptacles will not be code since the circuit also feeds lights and fans. If you can move the lights and fans to another circuit you can add the receptacles. The lights and fans can be on any other circuit.

#14 ·
I didn’t get a chance to work on this last weekend.

After thinking about it more, should I put the (2) GFCI receptacles (1 in each bathroom) on its own circuit? If so, I will connect these to its own junction box in the attic so later an electrician can run a dedicated line to it.

So, what option would be best?

OPTION 1:
Junction Box 1 (later to be on its own circuit)
- Bath 1 - GFCI receptacle
- Bath 1 - Wall Light
- Bath 1 - Ceiling Vent
- Door Bell transformer

Junction Box 2 (later to be on its own circuit)
- Bath 2 - GFCI receptacle
- Bath 2 - Wall Light
- Bath 2 - Ceiling Vent

OPTION 2:
Junction Box 1 (later to be on its own circuit)
- Bath 1 & 2 - Wall Light
- Bath 1 & 2 - Ceiling Vent
- Doorbell Transformer

Junction Box 2 (later to be on its own circuit)
- Bath 1 & 2 - GFCI receptacle

#18 ·

Here is my current config:
20amp circuit breaker

• 1 doorbell
Here is what I want to do
  • 1 doorbell
  • 1 switch to ceiling vent in bathroom 1
  • 1 switch to celiing vent in bathroom 2
  • 1 duplex GFCI receptacle in bathroom 1
  • 1 duplex GFCI receptacle in bathroom 2
You certainly may the only restictions apply to single outlets. That is to say a single device on a single yolk. A GFI receptacle is the same as a duplex receptacle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.