Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-15-2010, 01:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 284

Correct gauge wire on wall heater??

I am trying to wire up a wall heater in my garage. It is a 240v 4000 watt unit. The amps are 16.7.

The sales bulletin says it can be wired with a min. copper wire size of 14AWG. The wire diagram says 10AWG. What gives??

I bought 10AWG and a 30amp double breaker in order to wire it, but my location moved about 5', so now I need more wire. I bought a 25' roll, so I can return it, but I have a 200' roll of 12/2 laying around. So if that would work, I figure might as well use it. I realize I'd have to go to a 20amp breaker, but that's no big deal, I have to return the wire any way.

My other thought is I have about 10' of 8/3 and thought about running that as far as I can and installing a 220 receptacle in the wall, pigtailing off of that to the heater. My thought on that is if I ever needed a place to plug a welder or something in, I'd have the connection....realizing I couldn't run the wall heater at same time, but it'd only ever be used very temporarily. If I needed permanant, I'd run a new circuit.

I want this done right and will likely just get a 30' length of 10/2, but weighing options.....

Thanks

Master Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:30 PM   #2
Electrician

Rewards Points: 518

Depends on your location, rules are different in the US and Canada. In Canada we are allowed to load the wire to 100% so in your case we could use a #12. Our breakers for heat can only be loaded to 80% so techincally you would need a 30A breaker but your so close I would probably use a 20A breaker. Not sure what they do in the US.

darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren View Post
Depends on your location, rules are different in the US and Canada. In Canada we are allowed to load the wire to 100% so in your case we could use a #12. Our breakers for heat can only be loaded to 80% so techincally you would need a 30A breaker but your so close I would probably use a 20A breaker. Not sure what they do in the US.

I'm in Kansas.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:56 PM   #4
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Is your garage is attached or detached ??

That will make the big diffrence and if detached do you have subpanel there and what the ampacity it is at ?

Normally this heater can be wired with 4.0mm˛ {12 AWG}

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 02:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
Is your garage is attached or detached ??

That will make the big diffrence and if detached do you have subpanel there and what the ampacity it is at ?

Normally this heater can be wired with 4.0mm˛ {12 AWG}

Merci.
Marc
The garage is detached and has a panel. I believe it has a 50amp circuit breaker.

What I ended up doing was ran the 10-2 to a juction box and installed a 220v 6-20 receptacle and then pigtailed down to the heater with another short strand of 10-2 that I had laying around. Seems to work fine. Probably never use the receptacle, but it's there if I ever need it....

If anyone sees a problem with that let me know!