Cordless Dustbuster, Charging Reversed Polarity? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-14-2012, 06:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 22

Cordless Dustbuster, charging reversed polarity?

Hi,

Upgraded my cordless Dustbusters at home with the new CHV1410 model, it works great except what was my surprise when I found out Black & Decker is no longer making Dustbusters that charge automatically on the wall mount.

Instead (and I was told this by their customer support when I called them) ALL the new models have a DC plug. I hate these, not only do you have to take the extra step of plugging in the vaccum each time when you hang it on the wall... mine being mounted down inside a bathroom cabinet, this makes it a pain hunting for the wire... but these DC plugs are weak, I've seen them give out with daily repeated plug-in-unplug use.

I decided to wire up the old style wall charger on the new vaccuum, using a few of the parts from the old dustbuster. I figured out how to do it (its not as hard as it sounds) but I was wondering about the polarity of the charger. If you hook the DC charger up to the wall mount backwards, will it destroy the battery? How do you verify which wire goes on which side.

Thanks for any advice - jeffpas

Advertisement

Last edited by jeffpas; 04-14-2012 at 06:52 PM.
jeffpas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:17 PM   #2

Just a bump.... It looks like the vaccuum is charging but its seems to run down fairly fast. Could it be that since it is wired up differently (and taking a longer route)..... it is not getting enough power to the battery when it charges? What would happen if I used a 18v charger instead of a 17v charger?

Advertisement

Old 04-15-2012, 12:45 PM   #3
I=E/R

Rewards Points: 1,000

The charger voltage (wall wart) has to be correct. What is output of the old DC supply and what does the new vacuum require? Usually these chargers have a diagram + ---@ )--- -
The @ would be a solid circle.
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:38 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

I second Flyboy's advice on comparing the output of both chargers and I would also suggest checking the type of battery packs in each vacuum.
NiCd? NiMH? Etc.
Different types have different charging requirements.
Let us know,
Flyingwrench
P.S. Nothing but humor intended by the reference used for MR. Corsair, a assumed fellow pilot.
FLYINGWRENCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:58 AM   #5

I am using the charger that came with the new vacuum. Just attached the new charger to the old wall mount. So voltage is the same as before.

Does it matter if the wires go one way or the other? The thing is, the charger plug isn't polarized so it can be stuck in the outlet rightside up or upside down. One would assume this would reverse the 'polarity' of the charge anyway and if that was a problem there would be some sort of warning on the plug.

What about the fact that it is charging slowly, allegedly because the charge has farther to go now, since it goes through some rigged new wireage?
Not an issue? And then if you upped the voltage by one (the old charger I can still use, it is 18v instead of 17v) would that charge it faster or cause the battery to wear out. Thanks.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:31 PM   #6
I=E/R

Rewards Points: 1,000

There is no polarity to the AC side of the charger but the output side does have a polarity. The center pin can be either + or -.

Advertisement

a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote