Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-09-2008, 12:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

cord to my heating pad got ripped out from its circuit board..any help?

the heating pad cord connects to a circuit board which sets the low medium or high heat, etc. the 2 wires( i assume its copper) connects to these two nodes that are soldered onto the circuit board. I was wondering if anyone can help me with a quick fix. A soldering iron is cheaper than a new heating pad plus i would learn something along the way. Is this the right forum? Or can someone point me in the right direction? here is a pic of what im talking about.
Attached Thumbnails
cord to my heating pad got ripped out from its circuit board..any help?-p6060542.jpg   cord to my heating pad got ripped out from its circuit board..any help?-p6060543.jpg   cord to my heating pad got ripped out from its circuit board..any help?-p6060544.jpg  

flashme18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 02:05 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Looks like the wires were crimped to the lugs, and lugs attached to the board using eyelets, which were secured using a punch type tool. Finally, the whole thing was soldered to make a good electrical connection.

I am willing to bet that the wires used in the cord will not solder easily, and that you must replace the lugs. You will need a crimping tool and a punch tool to attach the wires to the lugs, and the lugs to the PC board.

Since the lugs are attached to the PC board using a rivet-like eyelet, you may have some trouble getting the old ones out without damaging the board.
I have had to drill such eyelets out.

It is possible that the cost of a new heating pad is low enough that such an operation is not worth the trouble.

fw2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 02:43 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Although you could replace the lugs with some work, your replacement constitutes a modification of a UL listed (or similar agency) electrical product. Modifications or repairs can present a fire hazard, and are always discouraged. You might use a different solder than you should, for instance.

A new heating pad is less than $20. Given the nature of the use of the product, and its proximity to your body and bedding, I'd advocate replacement not repair.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 03:05 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
Although you could replace the lugs with some work, your replacement constitutes a modification of a UL listed (or similar agency) electrical product. Modifications or repairs can present a fire hazard, and are always discouraged. You might use a different solder than you should, for instance.

A new heating pad is less than $20. Given the nature of the use of the product, and its proximity to your body and bedding, I'd advocate replacement not repair.
I strongly agree. Think of your safety (or that of a family member) first.

FW
fw2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 04:08 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Thanks for the quick replies. After reading that, it look is a lot more complicated than I thought. The heating pad actually cost over $30. It was a really good one. But with all that extra work, and the hazards, I will just buy a new one!
flashme18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 07:20 PM   #6
liscenced electrician

Rewards Points: 500

id try soldering it. It may not come out as strong as it used to be, but it should work
jimmy21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 07:47 PM   #7
I have gas!

Rewards Points: 1,014

If you never soldered before, your connection is going to be pretty ugly. Can you order a new controller?
Old 07-09-2008, 09:21 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy21 View Post
It may not come out as strong as it used to be, but it should work
And if it doesn't, its not like it will cause a spark, fire, or shock....Wait.... Oh yeah, it will.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:28 PM   #9
liscenced electrician

Rewards Points: 500

well it obviously can get ripped out from the factory so hes probably better off just not buying one at all

jimmy21 is online now   Reply With Quote