DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   copper wire from old phone line (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/copper-wire-old-phone-line-195023/)

Startingover 01-28-2014 05:31 PM

copper wire from old phone line
 
I'm sure this is nothing, but my daughter was worried.

I don't use a phone land line. One outlet I took off, then filled the hole with spray foam. I was just going to put a solid plastic cover over it but my daughter sees a little copper wire sticking out thru the hardened foam.

Is that anything dangerous?

Colbyt 01-28-2014 05:38 PM

There is no voltage on a phone circuit when there is no phone service. Even if service it is at most a tingle when ringing. The rest of the time it about the same as a battery. Just don't touch your tongue to it. :)

oleguy74 01-28-2014 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colbyt (Post 1298208)
There is no voltage on a phone circuit when there is no phone service. Even if service it is at most a tingle when ringing. The rest of the time it about the same as a battery. Just don't touch your tongue to it. :)

you are right on one count only.if service is disco'd at co,no voltage.if active,90 volts ac to ring,just try to hang on to that.

Startingover 01-28-2014 06:18 PM

ok thanks. I won't worry about it and will put the plastic cover over it.

It's behind a bed where no one will see it and this was the quickest way to cover it. This house had outlets all over the place. Most I did a proper repair with a patch kit.

Colbyt 01-28-2014 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oleguy74 (Post 1298222)
you are right on one count only.if service is disco'd at co,no voltage.if active,90 volts ac to ring,just try to hang on to that.


With respect, I believe that is 90 volts DC. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone

Kyle_in_rure 01-28-2014 10:27 PM

I'm pretty sure standard telephone voltage is 48 Volts DC. ringing current is around 90 volts AC Give or take :)

Oso954 01-28-2014 11:24 PM

Quote:

With respect, I believe that is 90 volts DC. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone
You might want to read the wiki article that you posted. The key sentence is:
"If the called party's line is available, the exchange sends an intermittent ringing signal (about 75 volts alternating current (AC) in North America and UK and 60 volts in Germany) to alert the called party to an incoming call."

joed 01-29-2014 07:31 AM

Don't believe everything you read on wiki. Anyone can edit it. Telephone ring voltage can vary anywhere from 90-130 volts AC.

Colbyt 01-29-2014 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joed (Post 1298429)
Don't believe everything you read on wiki. Anyone can edit it. Telephone ring voltage can vary anywhere from 90-130 volts AC.


I don't. :) I also stand corrected regarding the voltage. You will find that I always admit it when I find myself to be wrong.


I remained convinced that there is not enough amperage to do any harm. It would not be low voltage wiring if there was a safety issue.

RocketGal 01-29-2014 01:13 PM

Just trying to recall ... the jacks have 4 wires. One set of 2 (black wire and a yellow wire) is the functioning line (when you subscribe to telephone service). The other set (red, black) is 'dead' even with service but is activated when you want a second line (for a 2nd phone or a fax machine).

Oso954 01-29-2014 01:51 PM

pair 1 was red and green, with red being the ring and green was the tip.

Pair 2 was your black and yellow. Yellow ring and black tip.

dmclean701 01-30-2014 10:25 AM

Not to put to fine a point on it, but I believe 48 volts DC is the "on hook" voltage, it drops when off hook. Yes the ringing voltage will get your attention.

plummen 01-30-2014 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colbyt (Post 1298208)
There is no voltage on a phone circuit when there is no phone service. Even if service it is at most a tingle when ringing. The rest of the time it about the same as a battery. Just don't touch your tongue to it. :)

You might want to check the acual voltage sometime on a working phone line, it can and will boot the boot to ya.

Colbyt 01-30-2014 04:38 PM

I don't make a practice of it but I might made contact a time the ringer voltage a time or few. I can't repeat what I said in family friendly place. Almost as much fun as a spark plug wire.

plummen 01-30-2014 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colbyt (Post 1299214)
I don't make a practice of it but I might made contact a time the ringer voltage a time or few. I can't repeat what I said in family friendly place. Almost as much fun as a spark plug wire.

I remember stripping some phone wires when I was a kid using my teeth.
Sitting on top of a walk in beer cooler we just finished building at a gas station, I had done it plenty of times before but apparently somebody was calling that time! Hahaha


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:10 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved