Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-17-2012, 07:45 AM   #1

Share |

Copper SE-U 3/0 - where to find it?

Hello all,
I'm installing a 200A ATS and will need to replace the 4/0 AL SE-U running from the meter pan to load center. I was thinking of using 3/0 CU SE-U because the run is in a tight place with about 4 90 degree turns (roughly 7 - 8 feet in length end to end).

I was thinking that slightly smaller and a bit more flexible copper (albeit ridiculously expensive) would make installing this a bit more of a pleasure.

Running individual conductors would also be tough because of the tight area.

Problem is, no electrical supplier in my area has it or can even order it in.. I could understand why it is not stocked, but is it really that rare to use copper for a short service run?

I'm even having a hard time finding a place to buy it online. If anyone has any sources I can order it from, it would be appreciated. I could wrestle the aluminum in there and will do that if the copper is really that unattainable...

Thanks!

raybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:08 AM   #2
Master Electrician

What the heck project are you doing that there's a 200a ats?

I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:34 PM   #3

It's a service entrance rated switch, and I have a 200A service. I believe the generator puts out ~85amps (20KW) and the genset has a 100A breaker.

The setup powers the entire load center, but will load shed if/when needed. The ATS is packaged with the Generator, which is a Cummins Onan.

So with that explained, I need to remove the 4/0 AL SE-U feeding the load center and move it to the ATS, which means I need to replace it.. Utility power will be obviously shut down for this. I then need to run a feed back to the load center, and was planning to use 2" conduit with 3/0 CU individual conductors.

It would make my life easier to run 3/0 CU SE-U instead of 4/0 AL SE-U from the meter pan to the ATS because of the bends and twists once it enters the house to get it to the ATS.

I was simply wondering if there is a good online resource to buy about 8 feet of copper or if I shouldn't even bother if the hassle to find it is greater than wrestling with the 4/0 AL. I am also curious if anyone else sees the benefit to copper for a short and twisty service run such as this..
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:50 PM   #4
Licensed Electrician

I prefer to work with compact aluminum.
stickboy1375 (09-18-2012)
Old 09-17-2012, 10:16 PM   #5
Master Electrician

I hardly ever see aluminum anymore. We always use copper so its easy to find here, but unless your close to the border that's useless lol.
I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:04 AM   #6
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Why 3/0???
2/0cu SEU is good for a residential 200A service. Even that might be hard to find in short lengths in some areas.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:14 AM   #7
E2 Electrician

I also use 4/0 AL. SEU, SER type cable... its easy to work with in my honest opinion.

stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote