Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-12-2008, 06:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Cooper Motion Sensor Help needed please

Hello and thank you for taking the time to read th is. I'm having a heck of a time figuring out this and would love some advice.

I have a floodlight motion sensor Cooper MS185RB and it has 2 lights. I have an outside electrical box with a white and black wire. The floodlights have 2 white and 2 black wires each. One for each side. The motion sensor has a red, white and black wire. I can't seem to get lights to work at all. I can connect all back to black and all white to white to get the lights to go on but I can't seem to incorporate the sensor into the equation. I've researched similar problems and I keep running into a confusion where there is supposed to be 4 sensor wires but I seem to only have 3. Any ideas?

The three wires from the sensor are 1 white, 1 red and 1 black. Any idea how I can connect these to make the sensor and lights work? Thank you so much for your time.

Scoops

scoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 10:48 PM   #2
electrical contractor

It is a simple hook up, white from the sensor hooks to white from the source(breaker or fuse panel) along with the whites from both lamp holders. black from the sensor hooks to the black from the source. red from the sensor hooks to the black wire from both lamp holders. This set up is true for 99 percent of the sensors out there, but you should look for a schematic on your sensor. Some motion sensors have a switch that must be set to a test position to allow them to work in the daylight

Life is tough, Life is tougher when you are stupid.
wire_twister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 10:22 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply Jimmy but it still doesn't work. If I bypass the 3 sensor wires and just hook the 2 lamp blacks to the black from the house, and the 2 white lamps to the white from the house I get the lights to turn on. When I add the sensor wires to the mix I get no light. I can hear the sensor clicking as if it wants to go on but no light goes on. You think it might be a bad sensor wire? I have it on test mode and still nothing.

I did exactly what you said. Lamp whites and sensor white to the house white. Black sensor to black house. Red sensor to the 2 black lamp and no luck. If you have any more advice I'd appreciate.
scoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:39 PM   #4

sounds like my problem: the package specifically says "replaces standard light switch" but it calls for using a black wire to hook to black source, a red wire to hook to the black wire going to the lamp, a white wire to the white neutral, green to ground, and blue to cap off for single-pole applications.

thing is, i have a white wire, a black wire, a ground wire, and a light-switch. period.

did you call cooper's troubleshooting line: 1 866 853 4293 M-F 8am-6pm EST?
threenorns is offline   Reply With Quote