Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-26-2008, 12:24 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Cooling intake air for air cooled genset

Dilemma: I live in very hot AZ and gensets that are air cooled do not last long.

Question: Since my 4200 dollar Kohler, air cooled genset just took a big dump with only 1290 hours on it, I was thinking I could pre cool the intake air on my new portable 15KW generac, with a a small swamp cooler.

The entrance air would be around 75 to 80 degress on a 115 degree day.

Sounds weird, I know. Anyone have any thoughts? We are off grid, solar and use the genset to charge batteries ...24...during the summer months.

steel dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 03:46 PM   #2
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel dude View Post
Dilemma: I live in very hot AZ and gensets that are air cooled do not last long.

Question: Since my 4200 dollar Kohler, air cooled genset just took a big dump with only 1290 hours on it, I was thinking I could pre cool the intake air on my new portable 15KW generac, with a a small swamp cooler.

The entrance air would be around 75 to 80 degress on a 115 degree day.

Sounds weird, I know. Anyone have any thoughts? We are off grid, solar and use the genset to charge batteries ...24...during the summer months.

Why not go to the junk yard and pick up a 12 V radiator fan. Wire in a relay to turn it on when you have 120 V.

InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 10:23 PM   #3
Idiot Emeritus

I think it would work OK. The issues I can see are the humidity of the air out of the cooler, and the amount of airflow.

I don't think humidity would hurt, except when the gen is not running, possible condensation. I don't think this would be a problem when the temp is above 60 or so.

Even a small swamp cooler should be able to keep up with an air-cooled gen, just make sure the hot air from the engine has someplace to go.

I agree, air-cooled engines don't do well when the temp is above 95 or so.

Rob
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 11:23 PM   #4
nap
You talking to me?

um, ever think about getting a water cooled generator?
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 04:37 AM   #5

Water cooled gensets are fairly expensive and run on diesel; they are very high output for my needs.

a radiator 12V fan would move the air, yes, but I need to cool the air before entering the fan system of the 930 cc engine of the genset.

Thanks to all that replied.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:23 AM   #6
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

Quote:
Water cooled gensets are fairly expensive and run on diesel; they are very high output for my needs.

a radiator 12V fan would move the air, yes, but I need to cool the air before entering the fan system of the 930 cc engine of the genset.

Thanks to all that replied.
Ok, then in my opinion, yes a swamp cooler would probably do the trick. Once you get that running, since you are off the grid, and saving all that grid money, a handy DIY guy could build a pretty good water cooler out of some spare auto parts and some copper tubing...
InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:03 AM   #7

Consider hydronic cooling.

Rent a post hole machine and drill a hole down 10 feet. Put in 3/8 pex (about 400 feet would work) and leave an input and output, then fill up the hole.

Hook this to a car radiator by brazing on some 3/8 pex adapters. Put in a small pump. When your system goes on the pump will fire up and bring nice cool water to the radiator.

In hot climates you have to go deeper to get cooler ground. Where I live it is 5 feet to 55 degree ground.

Swamp coolers work but they have residue problems especially in low humidity. I have seen them shut down in 6 months depending on the water content. In really bad water they can toast the swamp cooler in one season.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:20 AM   #8

Great idea, hydronic

Hate to sound stupid, but what is pex?

When you mention "toast the s cooler", are you referring to gumming up the replaceable aspen pads?
Old 10-27-2008, 11:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Great idea, hydronic

Hate to sound stupid, but what is pex?

When you mention "toast the s cooler", are you referring to gumming up the replaceable aspen pads?
Pex is a poly pipe that is commonly used for plumbing.

I forgot one thing on my post. Pex CANNOT be in the sunlight for more that 30 days total. It will degrade with the UV radiation.

Second is that I would insulate the 2 ends of the pex coming up the hole to keep from heating up in the warmer upper layers of soil.

Swamp coolers depend on a water supply and that is normally the local water system. If it is high in dissolved electrolytes it will leave a crust as the water evaporates. This crust can be corrosive and eats away metal.

My vacation home is high in electrolytes and will eat up a faucet in about 5 years. No one spends much money on plumbing. Swamp coolers last about 1 season and because of that no one uses them.

If you have good pure water a swamp cooler might be the way to go. I play the odds and considering that 80% of the US has hard water I would say that you would have problems with a swamp cooler.