Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-20-2009, 11:26 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Cooktop wiring

I am replacing an old Jenn-Air cooktop with a new GE cooktop. My supply is a three insulated wire receptacle(the Jenn-Air had a plug) with 240 volts. The GE cooktop is 240v with a conduit and two insulated wires and one UNINSULATED copper wire. Can I simply connect the two insulated wires with lugs and connect the copper wire to the white insulated supply wire? My house wiring is probably 50 years old by the way.

The G.E. booklet says the cooktop is not to be used with a plug. Does this apply to old wiring circuits as above also? Thanks

debubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:32 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Cooktop wiring

do you have one main panel that feeds this circuit or does it come from a sub panel? And is the main breaker in the main panel or elsewhere? Does your stove top have the need for both 110 and 220V? like a light included somewhere.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:35 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Cooktop wiring

Quote:
Can I simply connect the two insulated wires with lugs and connect the copper wire to the white insulated supply wire?
Yes.

Get a 90 degree 1/2" flex connector for the "conduit" coming off the cooktop.

Get a blank cover plate (same size as the old recep opening, 1 gang or 2 gang) with a 1/2" hole in it. Install the flex connector onto the flex and the blank cover.

Turn off and TEST power

Remove the old receptacle and wirenut tightly the new cooktop wires to the old branch circuit wires.

Screw the blank cover to the box making sure that the screws don't go in too deeply and hit the wiring.

Quote:
do you have one main panel that feeds this circuit or does it come from a sub panel? And is the main breaker in the main panel or elsewhere? Does your stove top have the need for both 110 and 220V? like a light included somewhere.
Doesn't matter. It's straight 240V. Many cooktops are.

Quote:
The GE cooktop is 240v with a conduit and two insulated wires and one UNINSULATED copper wire
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:58 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Cooktop wiring

Thanks for the great answer. The HVAC man at my work said I could have just rewired the plug to fit the new cooktop but I am reluctant to do that when my booklet said that the GE cooktop was not to be used with a plug. By the way, the only light on my new low-end cooktop is the burner on indicator light. Thanks again.
debubba is offline   Reply With Quote