Converting From Solar Off-grid Power To Grid-tie W/ Battery Backup - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-21-2014, 08:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Converting from solar off-grid power to grid-tie w/ battery backup

I'm building my own home and so far I've been totally off-grid with a solar powered battery setup. I'm looking into getting connected to the grid because I can't store all of the power I make and also can't run power tools for example because they draw too much power.

I'd like to be able to switch the power source to my main breaker box to either come from the inverter/batteries or from the grid. What kind of switch would I be looking for?

I'm also going to be looking for a similar DC switch that will switch the DC power coming from the panels to either go through a charge controller and into the batteries or go to a different charge-controller/inverter that will put the power back into the breaker box and grid.

Does that sound like a reasonable plan? I would have to manually switch if for instance the grid-supplied power went out, or I want to charge up the batteries, but I'm ok with that.

Thank you

Advertisement

taonzen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery , grid-tie , off-grid , solar , switch