Converting Half Switched Receptacle To A Dual Usb Outlet - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-03-2016, 06:06 PM   #1

Converting half switched receptacle to a dual usb outlet

My family room outlets are all half switched outlets I bought a new USB/ plug combo outlet to replace one in the family room. Once I got started I realized the new plug only has one screw for white and one screw for hot and of course the green screw for the bare wire. I found the old outlet had 2 black 2 white, 2 red, and a bare wire for a total of 7 wires.it was wired with a white on each silver screw both black on the hot bottom gold screw and both red on the top switched gold screw. My answer to this was to hook up both white both black and the bare wire to the new USB outlet and I took a wire nut to the red wires keeping them together. Everything works but is the house going to burn down? Is there a better way? I read an old post where someone said to nut off one of the white neutrals. If so how do I know which one? Thanks for any and all advice.

Advertisement

Josh eaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 06:14 PM   #2
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 396

There should only be one wire under the screw head. If you have multiple wires to connect to one screw you install a pigtail.

Both whites are needed to complete the circuit to downstream.

Advertisement

Old 01-03-2016, 06:19 PM   #3

It has two ports to insert for the one neutral screw and the same for hot. I used the black as hot and placed a wire nut on both red and just shoved them in the back is that correct

Last edited by Josh eaby; 01-03-2016 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:20 PM   #4

So now its always hot which is fine with me as long as its safe

Last edited by Josh eaby; 01-03-2016 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01-03-2016, 07:57 PM   #5

Anyone, anyone... Someone has to know if what I did was stupid. If you need any info just let me know.
Old 01-03-2016, 09:07 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 9,744

I can't tell from your description if you put two white and two blacks under one screw. If you did it not correct by the code. I don't think your going burn your because of it but you should make the correction to get one wire under each screw using a pigtail and a wire nut.

If the receptacle is the type that has a plate that clamps down on the wires then one wire under each side of the screw is fine.

Advertisement

joed is online now   Reply With Quote