Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-24-2013, 08:41 PM   #1

Share |

converting dc triple aaa`s to ac project

hello to all,,I need help with a lighting project, here is what I am trying to do.I have these small thin oval style led flashlights, each one takes 3 triple aaa batteries I want to link 6 of them together in a series,and be able to plug them in and run them off a timer. Buying batteries and changing them everyday 2 days won`t work.What kind of a transformer would I need to do this ? 1.5 dc v x 3 x 6 = 27 dc v

These will be to hang over a marine reef aquarium to supplement the lights I allready have. Each flashlight has a magnet on the back so they will easily mount to a long flat strip of metal, and each flashlight is extremely bright with 24 leds in each, so in a series of 6 it should be very bright and help a lot, the flashlights I am using can be seen at harbor freight tools just type in led or item number 67227

this is just temporary until I can afford to purchase a heat sink and cree leds and drivers to make 1 super bright led fixture equivelant to one 400 w metal halide but the led kits are very expensive so I need something in the mean time and anyone with any experience at this or any ideas at all I would love to hear them
thanks to all,

oh and the flashlights I`ve bought are 2.50 each with their coupons way cheaper than the led kits that start out at 200.00 this is why I am trying this route while I buy the right stuff piece by piece and assemble them.and again any lighting or custom fab jobs about this that can be
done right I am very much into hearing about and learning. again thanks for your time

tlb813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:12 PM   #2

How about linking the 6 in parallel and using a 5 volt DC wall wart type power supply, it'll be close enough to 4.5 volts (3 AAA batteries). Most of these are unregulated. If you really want to get close just toss a diode in the line, it'll drop the voltage by about .7 volts.

You should be able to find 5 volt power supplies about anywhere. I'm not sure of the amperage requirement but it probably isn't that high if it runs on AAA batteries. You could try 1 amp and use an ammeter to see what the actual draw is.

Just check something first. Make sure the batteries are in series and not in parallel.

AandPDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:00 PM   #3

the batteries run like this and this is like looking down at the open battery compartment
top side
1.single terminal with wire 2. and 3. is a double terminal no wire
negative positive negative

battery here battery here battery here

positive negative positive
1.and 2.double terminal no wire 3. single terminal with wire
bottom side

so i only have to 2 wires at battery compartment both are yellow
one at each side,,one to pos one to neg each to the single terminals,
looks like it`s a looped system with the led board drawing half the battery power to each side
I believe it`s a parallel circuit

Last edited by tlb813; 05-24-2013 at 10:09 PM.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:18 AM   #4

Can you post a diagram?

If the batteries are connected + - + - + - then they are in series and you have a 4.5 (approx) voltage requirement.

If you have all the +'s connected together AND all the -'s connected together the batteries are in parallel. The advantage of this is that the batteries can provide more current.

Not sure what you mean LED board drawing half the battery power.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:13 AM   #5

I attached a diagram hope it works ,sorry it took me so long ,and thanks for the help
and here is a link to the actual light ,,cannot believe how super bright this little light is and the price they measure 3 3/4 inch long by 2 1/2 wide. http://www.harborfreight.com/27-led-...ght-67227.html
Attached Thumbnails
converting dc triple aaa`s to ac project-battery-config.jpg  

Last edited by tlb813; 05-26-2013 at 07:21 AM.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:52 AM   #6

That helps.

Get a 4.5 or 5 volt DC transformer, hook all the positives leads together and then all the negative leads together - done.

Since you've got it apart, put an ammeter in the circuit to figure out your current draw. Then find a power supply that is capable of supplying 6 times that current, at least, to power all 6 lights.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:40 PM   #7

that works,,again thanks for the help,,appreciate it

Tags
aquarium, electrical, led, lighting, lights