Converting Ceiling Fan Wall Controls To Remote - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-27-2008, 10:56 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Converting ceiling fan wall controls to remote

I am replacing an old, hideous ceiling fan with a new remote-controlled fan. The older fan is controlled by two motor control/light dimmer knobs on the wall.

Question #1: What do I do with the wall switches before I install the new fan? I assume they need to stay hot all the time since the new fan is controlled by remote.

Question #2: What do I do with the ceiling leads since the new fan only requires a hot and neutral going into the receiver? I haven't pulled the old fan down but I assume it will have a black, red and white leads.

The eyesore in it's full glory:

Advertisement

Last edited by crappyhandyman; 07-27-2008 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Made pictures smaller
crappyhandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 11:11 AM   #2
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,162

I'm not sure of this is obvious or not, but you need to install a regular wall switch to replace the dual control and use the switched hot wire going up to the ceiling for the fan feed.

If there is a red wire I would use that to prevent confusion between constant hot and switched hot.

Advertisement

Old 07-27-2008, 12:12 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,008

Kill power to the fan. Remove fan and MARK THE WIRES! Make note of how every wire in the ceiling box is connected so you can remember how to hook up the new fan. Hook up a regular switch in place of the dimmer/fan control. Your remote comes with a receiver which you will mount in the fan canopy.
On the receiver is a diagram as to the correct connections.
You will connect the power from the wall switch to the incoming power leads on the receiver. Hot, neutral and ground.. Then you will connect the wires outgoing from the receiver to the fan and light. This is all right there on the wiring diagram that came with the remote.
Make sure the fan is set to high speed. Remove any hanging chains so someone cannot change the fan speed or turn off the light. From now on the remote and only the remote will control the fan and light.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 06:37 PM   #4

Thanks to both of you! I'll give it a try and report back.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:19 AM   #5

Following your advice, I removed the fan/light controller, capped off the black wire leading to the ceiling box and connected a single switch to the red wire. On the ceiling I capped off the black wire also leaving just the hot red wire and the neutral white. After that it was simple - just connecting the receiver to the red and white wires.

Not so bad at all in the end.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:58 AM   #6
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by crappyhandyman View Post
Following your advice, I removed the fan/light controller, capped off the black wire leading to the ceiling box and connected a single switch to the red wire. On the ceiling I capped off the black wire also leaving just the hot red wire and the neutral white. After that it was simple - just connecting the receiver to the red and white wires.

Not so bad at all in the end.
Not bad for a crappy handyman.

Advertisement

Tags
ceiling fan , control , fans , remote , switches