Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-05-2011, 06:54 PM   #1

Share |

Convert two panels in a duplex to one meter

I'm sorry if this is long but I want to give you as much info as possible.

I have a duplex I am converting to a single unit. I need to remove one of the meters. The inspector told me to have one panel made into a subpanel of the other. What I want to know is if it would be better to go from the disconnect. Here is the entire scenario.

I currently have two meters. Both are CL200 240V 3W Type CISC 30TA. They are both in a meter/disconnect combo. The disconnect has two 100 amp breakers (one for each meter), with each then wired to individual 100 amp panels. Instead of making one panel a sub of the other can I just wire both disconnects to one meter. I don't think I can do it to the meter directly because I don't think a meter can have two wires under one lug. I didn't know if there was another way to do it.

I have another issue. Both panels inside being sub panels of the disconnect are wired with 4 wire. However, the ground and neutral are on the same bus. I thought that they had to be separate. The inspector didn't say anything about this being incorrect. He did say if I made one panel a sub panel of the other I would then have to separate the ground and neutral in the sub. Did he just miss that they already should be separated?

If you need any other info I have service line sizes, etc. Both panels are already fairly full (2 AC, 2 furnace, etc.) so I didn't want to have to combine any current circuits to be able to put in a 60 amp breaker to feed the sub. They are small panels with only 14 full slots.

I know the correct answer is hire an electrician, which I will. But I like to know what is the best option when I hire someone.

I should also add that I am in Belleville, IL for code reasons.

Thanks for any response.

Last edited by rsgrauer; 09-05-2011 at 07:01 PM.
rsgrauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:36 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Convert two panels in a duplex to one meter

You could wire a main panel with the 100 amp disconnects, then have both "Sub" wired off of that main panel. It just depends on what the inspector will pass, and what is the best solution for your situation. If you plan on placing a whole house surge to protect the structure, you could place that where the mains are, or on the Meter.

Also, are you planning on putting in a Genset panel, due to your area has a situation of loosing power when storms happen?

gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote