DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Convert three way switch setup to a single pole

9K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  kevinp22 
#1 ·
I have a single pole timer switch that I want to hook up to a three way setup for control of some outside lights. The two switches that control the lights had one bundle of wire each with a red/green/black/white wire coming out and hooked up to each light switch (no wires unused). The black wires for each switch were going to the black screws on each switch. Here is a pic of the wires next to one of the switches.

I've located which switch has the power leg (black wire).

Here is a pic of the the new switch I want to install in one of the two locations and the other location not be used at all

Please help me figure this out. Please use common terms, I'm dumb!

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
Casey,

just to clarify, power is coming into the switch box not shown? so that box has 2 cables coming in - one with just a black/white/ground and another with black/white/red/ground?

if not, power must be coming to the light fixture first

also, do you care which switch box has the new switch or do you want it in the box shown in the picture?

#4 ·
Just to clarify, both receptacles have 1 single bundle of 4 wires coming in for these switch locations. Inside each bundle are the 4 wires black green red white. It doesn't look like either receptacle has more than one bundle, just the single 4 wire bundles

#6 ·
Casey,

I think at the light fixture you will find at least the following:
1. 1 cable with red/white/black/ground going to switch 1
2. 1 cable with red/white/black/ground going to switch 2
3. 1 cable with (probably) white/black/ground supplying power to the light
4. (possibly) additional cables supplying power to other downsteam parts of this circuit

assuming #4 is not present

1. disconnect everything at the fixture box
2. determine which cable goes to the switch you wont use and simply cap off those conductors with wire nuts. do the same at the corresponding switch box after removing the switch. put a blank plate over this box [I would keep the wires in case you ever go back to a 3 way switch configuration]
3. at the fixture, you now have 2 cables plus the fixture wires. connect all the white wires (3 total) and ground wires (probably 3 or 4) together. connect the red from the switch cable to the black wire for the light fixture. connect the black from the power wire to the black to the switch cable.
4. at tthe switch box, connect black to black, red to red, green to ground and white to white

replace switch cover to fit the new switch configuration.

#7 ·
There's gotta be a way to do this without messing with the light fixtures themselves. These switches turn on 8 outside lights that span from one side of the house to the other. The original three way switches worked exactly how they were suppose to, so I know the correct wiring is there, I just cant figure out how to take out one of the switches to never use again and still have the one with a single pole switch contolling

#8 ·
Your timer needs a neutral. There is no neutral in the wiring for the existing three way. You either need to find a timer that doesn't need a neutral, or do some rewiring.

#9 ·
Casey.,

Take a quick look at this wiring diagram I think this diagram pretty much fit your situation what you have if the other three way switch is connected the excat the same fashion a single XX-3 NM cable on each end at the three way switch location if so this photo I will post it will clearify when you see how it connected.

So here the photo.

Take a minute to see how it hook up and I know Kevin and K_buzz mention very clear on how to do this set up and the timer you posted that do denfinely need netural to function properly so the only place you will find this bundle of connection is one of the luminaires ( useally closest to the switch location is the first one to hit it )

Merci,
Marc

#14 ·
when wired this way the red and whites and the traveler wires between the 3 way switches. this is the only common use of a white wire as a hot instead of a neutral. but when used as such, it must be tagged via tape, painting, sharpie, another color (usually black, but never white or green)etc to tell future folks its not a neutral.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.