Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-26-2009, 07:28 PM   #1

Share |

Convert plug to light fixture?

I have a utility room off the kitchen in which I have to use ugly flourescent plug-in strips, because there isn't an installed light.

Is it possible to convert the electrical plug junction into appropriate wiring for a wall sconce?

Many thanks!

MeasureThrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 09:11 PM   #2

It is generally very easy to remove a receptacle from a box and substitute a wall mount light fixture or sconce. You will need to select a fixture that comes with a pull chain or knob switch. Also the light is not very useful unless the box was reasonably high up on the wall, namely not down at ankle level.

Other things you can do include getting a blank cover plate, drilling a hole in it to accept an elbow conduit adapter, and run a length of conduit, e.g. Wiremold (tm) from the outlet box up to where you install a (surface mount) box for a switch and continue the conduit up to the desired height on the wall where you install another box for the fixture.

Old 11-26-2009, 09:19 PM   #3

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeasureThrice View Post
I have a utility room off the kitchen in which I have to use ugly flourescent plug-in strips, because there isn't an installed light.

Is it possible to convert the electrical plug junction into appropriate wiring for a wall sconce?

Many thanks!
Also, you're very lucky. Because the (Jam/b) boxes that hold receptacles come standard with 6-32 holes and the sconces are fastened with 6-32 screws. (As opposed to other light fixtures that have 8-32 screws.) But that is no coincidence, either. (No matter what) Don't Drink and Drive, ever!!!
spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote