Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-13-2008, 07:11 AM   #1

Share |

Convection Heater

Hello, I'm trying to hook up a 1000W, 240 V, NOMA Convection Heater to a Double Pole thermostat. The hardware clerk told me to run 240 wire (red, black, ground) from the electrical panel to the heater location then to run the same kind of wire from heater to thermostat location. I just bought the heater the other day and the wires on the back of it are Black, White and Ground. The installation instructions literally tell me nothing and now I am really confused.
This is my first thermostat heater I've installed and I got thinking that the thermostat serves much the same as a light switch, doesn't it?? With that said shouldn't I have run the wire from the panel to the thermostat first then to the heater??
I live in the bush so having a certified electrician just to come out will cost a couple hundred dollars. Hopefully I can find help here to save me a little $$.

Thanks in advance,
Confused in Northern Ontario (Flyultralite)
flyultralite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 09:37 AM   #2
hms
Remodeling contractor

Convection Heater

I would get online to the manufacturer web site and see if I could download the instructions for my model. Most ofd the time you can get that online. The other is to get the phone number for technical support off the web site.
Your thermostat may be low voltage so be sure before your put line voltage to it.
hms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 10:10 AM   #3
Licensed electrician

Convection Heater

Did you buy a single or double pole t-stat?

I would run the power to the t-stat first, then down to the unit. One pair of the wires should be labeled line or in, the others load or out.
Jim Port is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 12:34 PM   #4
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Convection Heater

I can't find anything out on the internet about that heater....bothersome to say the least. NO voltage specs, nameplate stuff nothing....does it have a nameplate?

If the t-stat is double pole you will have two line connections and two load connections, load being wires going to the heater from the t-stat and line being wires coming from the power source.

Black and white are hot and ground is green. Back and white from heater to load and the two hots from power to line. Join the grounds together and bond to the t-stat and enclosure if metal. The heater does take a line voltage t-stat that much I found out.

At 240 volts 1000 watts..... 14 awg is ok but I would use 12 awg since I can't find a darn thing out about this heater. You will need a double pole breaker.
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote