Control 4 Switches - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-03-2008, 08:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

control 4 switches

this question is for anybody who knows anything about control 4 switches. i am trying to install some control 4 dimmers on a 3-way/4-way system. i know that on just a regular 3-way you need a dimmer on one end and and a 2 button control on the other end of the 3-way. i was wondering if anybody knows what i need to put in the 4-way location. do i need another 2 button control or something else? i tried a search for some wiring diagrams but cant seem to find any. if you know where i can find some that would be awesome. thanks.
-gooch

Advertisement

gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:32 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

control 4 switches

With a standard setup you will only be able to dimm/undimm from one location. Use a 3 way switch at one end, a 3 way dimmer at the other end, and four way switches at every other location.

How you run the cables will be important. The easiest is to feed one end, travel through each switch box, and send the load to the light at the other end.

Advertisement

Old 01-03-2008, 08:42 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

control 4 switches

thanks for your advice but i understand on how to wire a 3-way and how to put dimmers on them. these control 4 dimmers that i am talking about are fancy dimmers from a series of things that are essentially wireless remotes that can control all sorts of things like lights, speakers, climate control, etc. and you can program them from a controller to do all sorts of things. its pretty cool you should check out the website at control4.com. i was hoping i could find someone on this forum who has dealt with them before. sorry about the misunderstanding.
-gooch
gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:05 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

control 4 switches

OHH now I get it.

You have an X-10 type control.

There should be a reciever. It gets installed at the light. Supply constant 110 volts, neutral, and switched leg, to it. For the rest of the switches just supply them with 110 volts. They are transmitters.

Set the codes up to match and you are done.