Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-13-2008, 08:09 AM   #16
Registered User
 
Termite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,520
Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Default

Contractor workmanship issues


Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
That is completely unenforceable
Wonder why they put it in the code then (and not just the NEC)? It absolutely is enforceable in certain circumstances, as deemed necessary by the authority having jurisdiction.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:00 AM   #17
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: MICHIGAN
Posts: 16
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Contractor workmanship issues


Man, if you wanted it to look like a rats nest you could have just done it yourself.

The reason to hire a pro is to get a pro job,
wjlundyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:56 AM   #18
UAW SKILLED TRADES
 
Stubbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 5,012
Rewards Points: 2
Default

Contractor workmanship issues


I'm sorta split decisioned on this because i have seen a heck of a lot worse. I can't tell but there may be some support violations on the cables and pvc conduit. Other than that I don't think 110.12 would be enforced on this job.
Stubbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 05:28 PM   #19
Electrician
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Connecticut, Litchfield
Posts: 2,015
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Contractor workmanship issues


Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
Wonder why they put it in the code then (and not just the NEC)? It absolutely is enforceable in certain circumstances, as deemed necessary by the authority having jurisdiction.

But who is going to actually judge that it is ugly or not? lets take this example, take the AHJ's wife and tell the man if shes ugly or not. Hopefully for your sake shes a knockout!


This is the exact reason its not enforceable...
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:16 PM   #20
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Contractor workmanship issues


The work was done by the {Master electrician himself} He is a one man show. And yes There is do doubt about it I could have done 10 x the job. In our county home owners are not allowed to do there own work has to be a Master Electrician pull the permit. He even told me that a shop did not need GFI for the outlets. He argued with the inspector about a grounding rod outside the building.
kfen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 08:20 PM   #21
Electrician
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Connecticut, Litchfield
Posts: 2,015
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Contractor workmanship issues


Quote:
Originally Posted by kfen View Post
The work was done by the {Master electrician himself} He is a one man show. And yes There is do doubt about it I could have done 10 x the job. In our county home owners are not allowed to do there own work has to be a Master Electrician pull the permit. He even told me that a shop did not need GFI for the outlets. He argued with the inspector about a grounding rod outside the building.

I know the job is ugly and was by no means defending the man, I was only pointing out the fact that its not a violation, I do feel for ya, he really should have went over his game plan with you before he started. and I think hes a little behind on his code knowledge.
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:14 PM   #22
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Contractor workmanship issues


Believe that you may hand him a check, with a finished amount...with a statement that when cashed he is paid in full, also that the work is unacceptable and that you reserve the right to another professional inspection.

Do not know what the amount of your small claims court is, however, check the law...worth the 50-100 dollars to get direction from an attorney...

Meet on the worksite with Inspector, "The Electrician", yourself and a friend that would, seem to be an attorney... well versed in construction and trades...there are several out there...this is not a witch hunt just to listen and to explain concerns.
RhinoRod1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 12:20 AM   #23
UAW SKILLED TRADES
 
Stubbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 5,012
Rewards Points: 2
Default

Contractor workmanship issues


Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoRod1945 View Post
Believe that you may hand him a check, with a finished amount...with a statement that when cashed he is paid in full, also that the work is unacceptable and that you reserve the right to another professional inspection.

Do not know what the amount of your small claims court is, however, check the law...worth the 50-100 dollars to get direction from an attorney...

Meet on the worksite with Inspector, "The Electrician", yourself and a friend that would, seem to be an attorney... well versed in construction and trades...there are several out there...this is not a witch hunt just to listen and to explain concerns.
That is total BS. You would end up the one being sued if you pulled that game on someone. I have a huge dislike for little weasels that haven't got the *!*!s to be up front with someone. First the inspector hasn't got the time to play childish games after the fact or before the fact. The inspection would be over.. he ain't coming back to try and entrap someone with some stupid little game of someone playing attorney and misrepresenting a legal authority. In court the electricians attorney could show a thousand jobs worse than this that were passed by the local authority. Then he would tear your case apart with the little game you played on the electrician. My guess is that you would end up in slander suit for filing frivolous against the defendant.

A frivolous suit is one without any legal merit. In some cases, such an action might be brought in bad faith for the purpose of harrassing the defendant. In such a case, the individual bringing the frivolous suit might be liable for damages for Malicious Prosecution.

Last edited by Stubbie; 08-14-2008 at 12:23 AM.
Stubbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:46 AM   #24
Registered User
 
Termite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,520
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Contractor workmanship issues


Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbie View Post
That is total BS. You would end up the one being sued if you pulled that game on someone. I have a huge dislike for little weasels that haven't got the *!*!s to be up front with someone. First the inspector hasn't got the time to play childish games after the fact or before the fact. The inspection would be over.. he ain't coming back to try and entrap someone with some stupid little game of someone playing attorney and misrepresenting a legal authority. In court the electricians attorney could show a thousand jobs worse than this that were passed by the local authority. Then he would tear your case apart with the little game you played on the electrician. My guess is that you would end up in slander suit for filing frivolous against the defendant.
Well stated.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:33 AM   #25
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: MICHIGAN
Posts: 16
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Contractor workmanship issues


If your not happy, you should let the guy know.

What did he say, give him a chance to make it right.
If he says get bent, then I guess your outta luck.
wjlundyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:39 AM   #26
Member
 
47_47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Springville, NY
Posts: 1,456
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Contractor workmanship issues


Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbie View Post
I have a huge dislike for little weasels that haven't got the *!*!s to be up front with someone.
My thoughts exactly. More people should grow a set and face problems head on.
__________________
What we've got here is... failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it... well, he gets it.
47_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 05:44 PM   #27
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Contractor workmanship issues


I have told him more than once I was not happy with his work. I do not know how to be any more upfront.wjlundyjr he has told me to get bent and today he Threatened me.

Last edited by kfen; 08-14-2008 at 05:47 PM.
kfen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 10:25 PM   #28
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: MICHIGAN
Posts: 16
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Contractor workmanship issues


Define: threatened

I've delt with some chitty contractors, but depending on the stress you want to put yourself thru your options are limited, if he does half azz work you can't do much of anything, thats why you get references, pay for work completed and babysit..

But I would probably just pay and get rid of him, then make sure you tell everyone about it.(where I live all contractors have to be registered with the jurisdiction). They will cancel a trade persons registration if they get allot of complaints.

If the inspector fails your work, you'll still probably end up paying the guy, and then paying someone else to fix it.
wjlundyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 01:18 AM   #29
UAW SKILLED TRADES
 
Stubbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 5,012
Rewards Points: 2
Default

Contractor workmanship issues


Kfen

My comments were not directed at you but the other guy... Rhinorod. I'm not defending this guy that did your electrical work. That work is sub standard and it would appear you have told him that in no uncertain words. You don't need to define threatened to me I've been around his type.

It seems back in the thread you said this master argued with the inspector over code compliancy? And they will not pass it if you refuse the work? After being threatened I do believe he would have a problem with me accepting that work or paying him. It sounds like the local electrical authority needs to have a few words with this fella. I would also let them know you will not accept the workmanship and see where they go with it.

If they don't pass it he will have to make the corrections to the workmanship. First you need to visit with the inspectors preferably the ahj and the inspector who did the rough check and I assume the final hasn't been called for yet. You have every legal right to refuse payment if this work will not pass inspection. The catch here is of course... will local codes enforce poor workmanship. I believe you said they would. If the electrician gets bent over it.. fire him.. and let him pursue the outcome. Remember your going to have the ahj for electrical inspections on your side. They don't lose outcomes like this that I have ever experienced.
Stubbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 06:27 AM   #30
Electrical Contractor
 
jbfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Newnan GA
Posts: 5,784
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Contractor workmanship issues


In this day and time, if someone threatens you, you have to beleive that they are willing to follow up with that threat.
You need a police report on this asap!

__________________
Yes I am a Pirate, 200 years too late. "Jimmy Buffett"
jbfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Briggs and Stratton Murray lawn mower issues golfer2b Landscaping & Lawn Care 3 08-01-2008 09:42 PM
Toilet refilling issues wedge22 Plumbing 1 07-27-2008 05:49 PM
AC/Thermostat issues rzgwong HVAC 2 06-21-2008 11:08 PM
Electrical issues with home inspection toolmaan Electrical 20 08-10-2007 05:52 PM
Issues with appliance plug hgiljr Electrical 1 03-17-2007 07:09 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.