Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-12-2008, 08:59 PM   #1

Share |

Contractor workmanship issues

Here are some photos of the workmanship of a licensed electrician that I hired to wire a 200 amp service to a 45x40 hobby shop behind my house. I hope there are some professional contractors That will take the time and tell me if I am just being to picky. He has been working on this since may 8th and has not completed the job as we had discussed prior to commencing work. 2x4 for wall outlet drop downs. The local inspection said that it was poor workmanship and the inspector will fail it if I say I will not accept the work. Part of me wants to just pay the guy and the other part wants to fight for what I think should be an Professional job. It has not gotten an green sticker yet and I got a bill today. Also I have been out of pocket $800 extra bucks for a new pedestal from my local utility and 2 outside lights he would not buy. When the local electrical company put the new pedestal in the feeders to my house panel were 6 in to short. 2 3/0 and 1 2/0 wiring
maybe 6 ft he hit me with another 725 bucks to run those wires. I had no power to the house. Any advise what are my rights. Thanks in advance kfen
Attached Thumbnails
Contractor workmanship issues-dsc01395-1.jpg   Contractor workmanship issues-dsc01397-1.jpg   Contractor workmanship issues-dsc01398-1.jpg   Contractor workmanship issues-dsc01399.jpg   Contractor workmanship issues-dsc01401-1.jpg  

Contractor workmanship issues-dsc01411.jpg  

kfen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:09 PM   #2
electrical contractor

I do not see an obvious code violation, other than neat and workman like execution, or lack there of. Looks like hack work to me. Did you get a contract? Where do all those 2 inch pipes go to on the other side of that wall?

Life is tough, Life is tougher when you are stupid.
wire_twister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:17 PM   #3

Looks like dog sh#t, where did you find this guy?
Steven Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:17 PM   #4

They go to the disconect box for the shop. The main panel and the disconect in or county have to be with in x number of feet apart. I did get a contract but how do you inforce workmaship. If the inspection dept. fails it. Do I have to pay the balance until it passes?
Old 08-12-2008, 10:10 PM   #5
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Jackson View Post
Looks like dog sh#t, where did you find this guy?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, works for me... I wouldn't put that on my place, and I would have gone over the best possible layout with the owner if I thought it might raise an eyebrow. just my 2 cents anyhow.
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:15 PM   #6
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfen View Post
The local inspection said that it was poor workmanship and the inspector will fail it if I say I will not accept the work.

If he fails it I would LOVE to see what code section he cites, how can he possible know what looks pretty and whats ugly? Would you trust him to pick your wife? See where i'm going with this?
Old 08-12-2008, 10:30 PM   #7

110.12 Mechanical Execution of Work.Electrical equipment shall be installed in a neat and workmanlike manner
Old 08-12-2008, 10:49 PM   #8

Quote:
110.12 Mechanical Execution of Work.Electrical equipment shall be installed in a neat and workmanlike manner
There it is! As an inspector I'd be pretty critical of such an ugly job and would definately chastise the electrician if he were on site, but it is a challenge to call someone for workmanship because it is so subjective. Just because I wouldn't ever do it that way doesn't mean that it isn't acceptible to the minimum standard of the code.

The inspector shouldn't base his call on the opinion of the building's owner. That is weak. Either call sparky for poor workmanship based on 110.12 or don't, but he should make the decision himself. As soon as an inspector lets an owner's opinion of anything sway him one way or another, he's become ineffective.

For the record, that is ugly as sin and the guy should be ashamed of it. He's obviously someone that doesn't take any pride in his work. I'd ask that he come back to the job to review the overall quality of his installation.

Last edited by Termite; 08-12-2008 at 10:51 PM.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 11:08 PM   #9
Crotchety Old Guy

AC, MC, FMC and NM-B all share something in common. They can't be used where subject to physical damage. It might well be that an inspector will sign off on a building with one of these wiring types exposed at low levels like those in the pictures but it really ought to be EMT or SCH 80 PVC at a minimum.

2 runs of AC or MC, whatever was used, supported by a Mineralac listed for a single conduit or cable. Several places the cable isn't anchored within 12" of the box. The ground rod is supposed to be below the surface of the grade. I don't see how it can pass as is. More than sloppy it isn't code compliant. Oh yeah, the OP paid for NEW material I would imagine (#6)

Last edited by itsunclebill; 08-12-2008 at 11:13 PM.
itsunclebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 11:13 PM   #10

Raised covers for the recept's and wallplates for the switches, nice!
Steven Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 01:52 AM   #11
" Euro " electrician

The way they used the MC cable and BX's I am not too thrilled how they ran like that.

The switch box on the 3rd photo that is very sloppy work there and if someone put something on the wall like 2X4's or something else if get bumped it will pull them out of the swtich box that part i did see it before few time.

For me .,, Just run the dangbat place with EMT or PVC conduit and it will look heackva much nicer and with that set up i allready done many steel posted building like that { No exposed NM in the steel building which it is a common volitatons }

Merci,Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 05:23 AM   #12
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Question: You hired him, but did he actually do the work, or did he have one of his workers do it?
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 05:41 AM   #13
Electrician

Quote:

That is completely unenforceable... When I look at the pics, they look fine, just not my cup of tea.

Last edited by chris75; 08-13-2008 at 05:44 AM.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:50 AM   #14
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Sloppy work.

I still think that maybe he had an apprentice do it....(?)
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 06:15 AM   #15
Whatamess

Why would you consider paying him until it passes. Right now you have him by the short hairs. If you pay him first do you think he will come back?