Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-19-2013, 04:48 AM   #1

Share |
Contactor - Relay Wiring

Hi Everyone,

I am currently working on a project but I am stuck up at the point of wiring my relay and contactor wired. Any help on the same would be appreciated.

The scene out here is to wire my CHINT contactor and PLA relay.

Hope to get a speedy response.

SurajNair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:46 AM   #2
Master Electrician

Contactor - Relay Wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurajNair View Post
Hi Everyone,

I am currently working on a project but I am stuck up at the point of wiring my relay and contactor wired. Any help on the same would be appreciated.

The scene out here is to wire my CHINT contactor and PLA relay.

Hope to get a speedy response.
Too much information.

brric is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brric For This Useful Post:
Philly Master (04-19-2013)
Old 04-19-2013, 12:29 PM   #3

Contactor - Relay Wiring

A relay or contactor is just an electrically operated switch.

Two wires go to the part which makes the switch operate. Then the other connections are just like a regular switch would be wired.

Relay...

Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:24 AM   #4

Contactor - Relay Wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_Bob View Post
A relay or contactor is just an electrically operated switch.

Two wires go to the part which makes the switch operate. Then the other connections are just like a regular switch would be wired.

Relay...

Hey Billy_Bob, Thanx for the reply. The scenario is to wire a piece of equipment which injects current say 200 or 500 or 1000A.

I want to operate the equipemnt with the help of ON and OFF push button which is to be wired to the contactor and a variac (dimmer) and a Current Transformer. And the relay is used for bringing the C, NC, NO contacts on the side panel of the equipment.

If you could help me in detail on the wiring now.
SurajNair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:35 AM   #5

Contactor - Relay Wiring

why don't you post the schematics for the relay and contactor you bought and their part numbers. Also some description of the load you intend to power and the source branch circuit.

You see when you ask questions like this: .."I am currently working on a project but I am stuck up at the point of wiring my relay and contactor wired. Any help on the same would be appreciated."...

You get answers like this: ..."Connect wires of appropriate gauge and insulation type for application to the terminals in question and connect them to the destination point. Be sure to use UL sanctioned connection devices in compliance with the NEC of jurisdiction in your area."...
curiousB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to curiousB For This Useful Post:
mpoulton (04-21-2013)
Old 04-21-2013, 11:46 AM   #6

Contactor - Relay Wiring

Quote:
...The scenario is to wire a piece of equipment which injects current say 200 or 500 or 1000A.

I want to operate the equipemnt with the help of ON and OFF push button which is to be wired to the contactor and a variac (dimmer) and a Current Transformer. And the relay is used for bringing the C, NC, NO contacts on the side panel of the equipment.
That is not something you should be asking on the internet!

High amperage connections are "special". Everything needs to be designed to handle/switch those loads. And even the wiring connections need to be installed to the equipment manufacturer's specifications. Not something you "just connect"!

You are best to hire an electrician. And if this is expensive equipment, better yet would be to hire an electrical engineer to design it and specify the various components, then have the electrician connect everything to specifications.

Can you tell us the brand and model number of the contactor you are going to use?

What size wire are you using for the high amperage wiring?

How are you going to connect that wire to the contactor switch contacts?

What will this turn on/off? (Type of equipment, manufacturer name, model number.)
Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:00 PM   #7
JOATMON

Contactor - Relay Wiring

Several factors to take into consideration....

What kind of high current load? AC/DC? Inductive or resistive? (motors or lights) If inductive, (as in motor), anything over about 100 HP should really have a soft start or VFD. Line starting a 500hp motor is not something the average person should do.

What voltage?

The actual control of the starter is easy...in fact, if your going to order one...have them put the Hand/Off/Auto controls on the bucket door.

Right now there is just not enough to go with.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:50 PM   #8
STAFF

Contactor - Relay Wiring

Thread restored...

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:11 PM   #9
" Euro " electrician

Contactor - Relay Wiring

Quote:
Hey Billy_Bob, Thanx for the reply. The scenario is to wire a piece of equipment which injects current say 200 or 500 or 1000A.

If you could help me in detail on the wiring now.
I will like to help ya but as other mention in here we will need more details as other ask this question.

Those high current devices generally something you do not want to fool around at all.

What ya try to do something with this set up? Test something ?

Also what voltage class you are refering to this.

Are you in North Americian side or European side? due there are some differnce on the regulations and other items it will be addressed.

Merci.
Marc