DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   connecting two T8 ballasts in a 4 lamp system (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/connecting-two-t8-ballasts-4-lamp-system-76665/)

DiverDoc 07-20-2010 10:33 AM

connecting two T8 ballasts in a 4 lamp system
 
Greetings electrical gurus!

I would appreciate some assistance:

I am upgrading a 4 four foot T12 bulb 2 magnetic ballast fixture to contain T8 bulbs and new electronic ballasts. In the fixture, one ballast powered the inner two bulbs and the other the outer two bulbs.

Problem:

I brought the ballasts home tonight and found they lack all the wires my old ballasts had.

These are Sylvania Quicktronic QTP 2X32T8/UNV ISN-SC ballasts.

They have on one end a red and a white wire, and on the other, two blue wires.

How do I wire the two ballasts to power the sockets? I have the usual one white and one black power wires entering the ceiling fixture.

I would sure appreciate some guidance.

Thanks!

jbfan 07-20-2010 11:16 AM

Are you sure you do not have a black wire from the ballast?
The instructions show a black, white, red and 2 blues.

There should be a diagram on top of the ballast to show the connections.

DiverDoc 07-20-2010 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbfan (Post 472364)
Are you sure you do not have a black wire from the ballast?

The instructions show a black, white, red and 2 blues.

There should be a diagram on top of the ballast to show the connections.

Thanks.

You know, it must have a black. I must not have looked at it carefully enough when I posted my message this morning.

And yes, there is a diagram on the top of the ballast to show the connections, but this is for one ballast running two bulbs, and my fixture has (or had with the old magnetic ballasts) two ballasts running 4 bulbs, (one ballast running two bulbs of the other ballast running the other two) and what I need to figure out is how to get the power to both ballasts.

S.

jbfan 07-20-2010 11:29 AM

Connect all black wires and all white wires, then connect each ballast to the pair of holders you want the ballast to light up.
Most t/12 5 lamp fixtures light the inside pair with one ballast, and the outside pair with another.
You can also return the ballast and buy 1 ballast that can handle all 4 lamps.

DiverDoc 07-20-2010 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbfan (Post 472370)
Connect all black wires and all white wires, then connect each ballast to the pair of holders you want the ballast to light up.
Most t/12 5 lamp fixtures light the inside pair with one ballast, and the outside pair with another.
You can also return the ballast and buy 1 ballast that can handle all 4 lamps.


Hey, thanks, jbfan!

I'll have another look at it tonight and see how it goes!

S.

jbfan 07-20-2010 11:44 AM

Remember that the end on t-8 are shunted.
You will have two wires coming out of each end that must be connected together then connected to the ballast lead.

Speedy Petey 07-20-2010 11:58 AM

The 120v line side is the same for both setups.
The output side is very different but is pretty clear if you follow the diagram.

I also suggest getting a 4-lamp ballast. It's cheaper and easier.

DiverDoc 07-20-2010 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbfan (Post 472379)
Remember that the end on t-8 are shunted.
You will have two wires coming out of each end that must be connected together then connected to the ballast lead.

jbfan, what does it mean "the end on t-8 are shunted" ?

S.

DiverDoc 07-20-2010 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedy Petey (Post 472383)
The 120v line side is the same for both setups.
The output side is very different but is pretty clear if you follow the diagram.

I also suggest getting a 4-lamp ballast. It's cheaper and easier.


I think you may well be right, Speedy! I will use the 2 lamp ballasts for some of my two lamp systems!

S.

DiverDoc 07-20-2010 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedy Petey (Post 472383)
The 120v line side is the same for both setups.
The output side is very different but is pretty clear if you follow the diagram.

I also suggest getting a 4-lamp ballast. It's cheaper and easier.

Hey Speedy and jbfan:

I bought a 4 lamp ballast and it wired up as easy as you please!

Thank you both so much for your assistance! I appreciate it!

S.

frenchelectrican 07-21-2010 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiverDoc (Post 472386)
jbfan, what does it mean "the end on t-8 are shunted" ?

S.

Let me step in here for a moment due many conversion I have deal I have to shunted the tombstone which it mean you have instast start electronic ballast and if you only used one wire you can cause early burnout on the bulb so on instat start you have to make sure they are shunted which it mean both pin at that tombstone is connected together.

So some of the flourscent luminaires may have shunted tombstone I know this is true with T-8 and T-5 verison with instat start but with rapid start no it still non shunted so that something you have to double check the connections.

Oh Ouais { oh yeah } make sure you have good grounding connections as well so they can lit up really nice.

Merci.
Marc

DiverDoc 07-21-2010 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frenchelectrican (Post 472775)
Let me step in here for a moment due many conversion I have deal I have to shunted the tombstone which it mean you have instast start electronic ballast and if you only used one wire you can cause early burnout on the bulb so on instat start you have to make sure they are shunted which it mean both pin at that tombstone is connected together.

So some of the flourscent luminaires may have shunted tombstone I know this is true with T-8 and T-5 verison with instat start but with rapid start no it still non shunted so that something you have to double check the connections.

Oh Ouais { oh yeah } make sure you have good grounding connections as well so they can lit up really nice.


Merci Beaucoup, Marc!

How can I tell if the tombstone is shunted or not?

I bought the parts separately - not a kit.

S.

frenchelectrican 07-21-2010 08:53 PM

To answer your question not all tombstone will marked " S " and many time you have to take a look at the connection as well.

{ there are couple of diffrent tombstone format and connections types }

Merci.
Marc


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:39 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved