Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-10-2011, 03:54 PM   #1

Share |

Connecting Speakers+Volume Switch

Hey i have 2 speakers that are passive and i want to connect them together and add a volume switch like little wheel that you turn with ur thumb and a male 3.5mm jack.

How would i wire it together and what are the names of the parts that i'd need?

thatguy512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:56 PM   #2

Could this thread be moved to DIY>Home Theater

Old 01-10-2011, 08:36 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

RadioShack, Lowes, Home Depot, Menard's, Partsexpress.com all sell the parts that you are wanting. As for the 3.5mm jack, are you wanting to add in a mp3 player, or Headphones at that point?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
RadioShack, Lowes, Home Depot, Menard's, Partsexpress.com all sell the parts that you are wanting. As for the 3.5mm jack, are you wanting to add in a mp3 player, or Headphones at that point?
I want to add in a male 3.5 mm jack so i connect the speakers to like an ipod lets say.As for the volume switch would it just be called a volume switch?How would i wire the volume switch together with everything else?
Old 01-11-2011, 09:01 AM   #5

A 3.5mm stereo plug (1/8") or stereo phone plug (1/4") has three connections called "tip" (for left channel), "ring" (for right channel) and sleeve (for common or ground). For the two speakers (one channel each), the plugs have just two connections, tip and sleeve.

You need two of those thumb wheel volume controls in about 50 ohms for direct speaker control, about 1000 ohms for connecting to a booster amp, they also make a double control with one knob. Note that only very low powered radio or iPod outputs, less than 100 milliwatts, can be controlled with small thumb wheel controls otherwise you will burn them out. They also make bigger controls with a knob rather than a wheel for controlling passive speakers using more power.

Connect ground to one side terminal of the volume control and to the sleeve connection of all plugs and jacks. Connect hot (from ring or tip of the plug for the iPod) to the other side terminal. Connect hot for the speaker or booster amp (or the plug for it) to the center terminal of the volume control. Repeat for the other stereo channel.

Last edited by AllanJ; 01-11-2011 at 09:07 AM.
AllanJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:39 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Is this a whole house system? If it is, it may be easier to use a Sonos music system, or a Multi-Channel A/V receiver that has a iPod adapter built in.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote