Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-19-2008, 03:03 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 15
Share |
Default

Connecting series of lights


I have a group of ground posts installed for line voltage ground lights. The UF cable is continuous. It loops into a post, goes underground, and loops to the next post.

To install the floods at the posts, is it best to cut the loop and end up with 2 sets of wires, or is it best to strip the loop in the middle only and attach the flood at the stripped point?

As you all know, dealing with stripping UF is no picnic.

rockee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 04:25 PM   #2
Electrician
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Connecticut, Litchfield
Posts: 2,015
Default

Connecting series of lights


Quote:
Originally Posted by rockee View Post
I have a group of ground posts installed for line voltage ground lights. The UF cable is continuous. It loops into a post, goes underground, and loops to the next post.

To install the floods at the posts, is it best to cut the loop and end up with 2 sets of wires, or is it best to strip the loop in the middle only and attach the flood at the stripped point?

As you all know, dealing with stripping UF is no picnic.

You need to cut and then splice the two ends together, and UF is pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 04:56 PM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 15
Default

Connecting series of lights


Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
You need to cut and then splice the two ends together, and UF is pretty easy once you get the hang of it.
Thanks for your reply. I'm getting used to stripping the UF - it takes practice.

Why is cutting the UF and splicing preferable to stripping in center and not cutting better connection?

Wires will be inside a small landscape ground post with threaded hole for insertion of male nipple of flood. What I have been doing is coating thread with teflon tape and then connecting with wire nuts, then wrapping all wire nuts in black tape, and placing screwing cap into post. I haven't been using the gell-filled wire nuts, since I was told by post manufacturer not needed. Do you agree?
rockee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 05:11 PM   #4
Electrician
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Connecticut, Litchfield
Posts: 2,015
Default

Connecting series of lights


Quote:
Originally Posted by rockee View Post
Thanks for your reply. I'm getting used to stripping the UF - it takes practice.

Why is cutting the UF and splicing preferable to stripping in center and not cutting better connection?

What you describe sounds like a real PITA. I cant give a code violation, but I know its a whole lot of extra work on your part.


Quote:
Originally Posted by rockee View Post

Wires will be inside a small landscape ground post with threaded hole for insertion of male nipple of flood. What I have been doing is coating thread with teflon tape and then connecting with wire nuts, then wrapping all wire nuts in black tape, and placing screwing cap into post. I haven't been using the gell-filled wire nuts, since I was told by post manufacturer not needed. Do you agree?
No special wire nuts needed, and dont use electrical tape on wire nuts, its so DIY.
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 05:23 PM   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 15
Default

Connecting series of lights


Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
What you describe sounds like a real PITA. I cant give a code violation, but I know its a whole lot of extra work on your part.




No special wire nuts needed, and dont use electrical tape on wire nuts, its so DIY.
OK - but I actually was told by post manufacturer that to be sure, I should wrap the nuts with tape - I actually wrapped the whole bundle of 3 nuts - neatly - thought it would add extra protection. I have quite a few more to do, so if you say I don't need the tape, I will discontinue using it.
rockee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 05:38 PM   #6
Electrician
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Connecticut, Litchfield
Posts: 2,015
Default

Connecting series of lights


Quote:
Originally Posted by rockee View Post
OK - but I actually was told by post manufacturer that to be sure, I should wrap the nuts with tape - I actually wrapped the whole bundle of 3 nuts - neatly - thought it would add extra protection. I have quite a few more to do, so if you say I don't need the tape, I will discontinue using it.

if the wirenuts don't stay on by themselves, then you did something wrong. Just try not to have the wirenuts upside down, this way any moisture will not accumulate inside and sit.
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 05:51 PM   #7
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 15
Default

Connecting series of lights


Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
if the wirenuts don't stay on by themselves, then you did something wrong. Just try not to have the wirenuts upside down, this way any moisture will not accumulate inside and sit.
Yes, I have 3 sizes of wire nuts, and am very precise about using correct ones and making sure they are tight. Since these posts are plastic, I put all ground wires (from leads and lamp) together with a wire nut, since I assumed not necessary to secure to the plastic post. The lamps i already installed were at end of runs so i didn't need to make decision of cutting the loops. Now I will cut loops for remaining ones.

What you just said about not having wire nuts upside down makes so much sense. Thanks for pointing it out.

rockee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
undercabinet puck lights ccalmonte Electrical 7 08-05-2008 08:25 PM
Installing motion / security lights west-phoenix-az Electrical 2 07-11-2008 07:33 PM
Adding can lights to an existing circuit TexasEd Electrical 1 06-17-2008 07:23 PM
Added can lights, tripping GFI tandyt Electrical 3 05-18-2008 09:55 AM
Pot lights in a drop ceiling Howdy Electrical 3 03-14-2008 08:23 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.