Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-19-2012, 02:10 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 264

Connecting a panel box to a diesel generator

I want to connect a breaker box to a diesel generator at my cabin.

I haven't decided on a generator yet, and was hoping I could find a good set of instructions or maybe a youtube video, but don't seem to be having much luck.

Does anyone know where I could find instructions or a guide? Do I need a copper grounding rod?

tibberous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:25 AM   #2
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Rewards Points: 2,228

Does the cabin have utility power also ?

Or is the cabin remote and your wanting electrical for the cabin and the generator is the sole source of power?

Stubbie
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:37 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

I hope this is not rude but I have the same question. My cabin is off grid with no other source of power and never will be. I have a Honda EU 3000 generator for my power source. I would like to run a 10/3 SOOW power cord from the 30 amp outlet on the generator hard wired to the Siemens main lug panel (G1624L1125CP). The yellow line is a #6 bare copper wire running back out of the panel and attaching to one of the pilings I've got my cabin sitting on.
Attached Thumbnails
Connecting a panel box to a diesel generator-b.jpg  

Last edited by AKHermit; 02-20-2012 at 12:18 AM.
AKHermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:04 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 264

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbie View Post
Does the cabin have utility power also ?

Or is the cabin remote and your wanting electrical for the cabin and the generator is the sole source of power?
Sole source.
tibberous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:18 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Yes sole source

Last edited by AKHermit; 02-20-2012 at 10:32 AM. Reason: delete
AKHermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:06 PM   #6
Idiot Emeritus

Rewards Points: 1,046

Since the gen is diesel, I'm assuming it's a bit larger than a simple pull-start one.

One thing to be aware of, a lot of these gens are 3. It's not a good idea to use two legs of a 3 gen to power a single phase panel. If the gen is 3, use a 3 panel and balance the loads.

Otherwise, just connect the gen to the panel like it's a service. The wire from the gen to the panel needs to be at least 115% of the current rating of the gen., and there needs to be a breaker somewhere to protect the wire.

A basic load calculation would give you an idea of what size of gen to get.
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:03 PM   #7
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by micromind View Post
Since the gen is diesel, I'm assuming it's a bit larger than a simple pull-start one.

One thing to be aware of, a lot of these gens are 3. It's not a good idea to use two legs of a 3 gen to power a single phase panel. If the gen is 3, use a 3 panel and balance the loads.

Otherwise, just connect the gen to the panel like it's a service. The wire from the gen to the panel needs to be at least 115% of the current rating of the gen., and there needs to be a breaker somewhere to protect the wire.

A basic load calculation would give you an idea of what size of gen to get.
Also let me also give you a head up with triphase generatours they will come in either Delta or Wye format so that can compound the issue if you want to run in single phase therefore there is other issue will come up is the single phase rating on triphase generatour unit they will NOT be the same as triphase more like about 70% of triphase rating so that is the other thing you have to watch out on that.

If you get a triphase generator I will seriously suggest that you get a electrician assit you on the connection as I mention above.

Merci,
Marc