Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-14-2010, 05:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Connecting motor to drum switch

Hi I have a dayton split phase 1/2hp motor I would like to connect to a drum switch. I could use instuctions on the wiring part. The drum switch continuity is for forward 1&4, 2&3, 5&6. In reverse the continuity is 1&2, 3&4, 5&6. There's no continuity in the off position.
There is two posts on the motor and two wires there is also another connecter I think is for ground but not sure about the ground. Will I have to reconfigure the drum switch for single phase ? I think it might be set up for 3 phase.
I was told that for single phase the continuity should be for forward
1&3, 2&4, 5&6 and for reverse 1&2, 3&4, 5&6 The continuity is different on my switch tank this configuration. So my question is how do I configure the switch and the motor so it will run in forward-stop-reverse
Thanks for any info anyone ban provide. Incidently the two green wires iside the switch are crossed, one wire goes from(bottom #1 connection on right) goes to #3 (middle connection on right) and visa-versa. Thanks also tell me if I'm mistaken but is the little tab atop the top post the groung connection ?
Attached Images

Last edited by fakeplay; 04-14-2010 at 09:28 PM. Reason: added
fakeplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 11:45 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,004

I have no idea what you have or what you are trying to accomplish, but it sounds like you want to change direction of the motor with the drum switch? Is that correct?

Since its a single phase motor you only have two wires to contend with. Wire numbers 5 & 8

Swap #5 or #8 and the motor will change direction. Just #5 and #8 are all you have to switch. Hope that's some help.

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 12:23 PM   #3
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
I have no idea what you have or what you are trying to accomplish, but it sounds like you want to change direction of the motor with the drum switch? Is that correct?

Since its a single phase motor you only have two wires to contend with. Wire numbers 5 & 8

Swap #5 or #8 and the motor will change direction. Just #5 and #8 are all you have to switch. Hope that's some help.
it looks like he has a simple 2 lead motor. Unless the motor is configured for reverse rotation, there is nothing he can do to make it go opposite direction.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 05:05 PM   #4

It's a split phase motor reversable. I don't get where you get #8, There's the plug wire" wich go to 1&6 and the 2 wire"s wich go to 2&4 which wire is #8 ?
Old 04-15-2010, 05:48 PM   #5
nap
You talking to me?

then, from the motor connection schematic on the motot, list the numbered terminals required to hook it up in both directions.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:19 PM   #6
Idiot Emeritus

Rewards Points: 1,040

Lets start by verifying that the motor actually runs, and that it can be reversed.

First, the green screw is the ground.

Now, as I understand it, there are two posts, and two wires with quick-connect terminals.

If so, connect the incoming power to the two posts. Apply power, and see what happens. My guess is it'll run. If it doesn't run, don't leave the power connected for more than 5 seconds.

If it does run, note the direction. Now, disconnect the power, and swap the two wires. Use needlenose pliers if the quick-connects are hard to reach.

Now, apply power to the posts, and i'd bet it'll run the other way.

If so, post back, and we'll get the switch hooked up. The drum switch will reverse a 3 phase motor as well as a single phase one. Its contacts are a bit different than the ones I'm used to, but it isn't all that hard to figure out.

Rob
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:41 PM   #7
nap
You talking to me?

you have a schematic with a two lead motor that can reverse just by swapping the leads?

an AC motor that is.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:23 PM   #8
Idiot Emeritus

If I'm not mistaken, the motor in question has two leads and two posts.

The two posts are usually the run winding, and the two leads are the start winding.

Though I haven't seen one of these in quite a few years, there actually are single phase two wire motors that are reversible. They were repulsion-start, induction-run. Direction was reversed by mechanically changing the position of the brushes.

Rob
Old 04-15-2010, 09:34 PM   #9
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by micromind View Post
If I'm not mistaken, the motor in question has two leads and two posts.

The two posts are usually the run winding, and the two leads are the start winding.

Though I haven't seen one of these in quite a few years, there actually are single phase two wire motors that are reversible. They were repulsion-start, induction-run. Direction was reversed by mechanically changing the position of the brushes.

Rob
if that is the case, OP would have to bring out separate leads from the posts and the spade terminals, yes?
Old 04-15-2010, 10:02 PM   #10
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
if that is the case, OP would have to bring out separate leads from the posts and the spade terminals, yes?
Yeah that is possible to do that if they have room in the peckerhead area.

I have see that drum switch before however if I am right the centre right and left concat is the carry over while upper and lower concats are switchable concats sorta like X pattern if you get my drift.

here the photo what it look like I know it little big but it petty clear on it

Hope that clear up couple details

Merci,Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:17 PM   #11
Idiot Emeritus

To make the drum switch work with a single phase motor, 3 leads can be run from the switch to the motor, (plus ground) but it's better if 4 are run. With only 3, one of the incoming power wires goes straight to the motor, with 4, both power wires are disconnected when the switch is in the off position.

Rob

Last edited by micromind; 04-15-2010 at 10:25 PM.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:45 AM   #12

Yes frenchelectrician, It is an x pattern this switch came from shanghi china for 10 bucks, it's pretty good quility. On this particular switch #1 is bottom right #2 is bottom left #3 mid right #4 mid left #5 top right #6 top left. in off there is no continuity on any terminals. In reverse the top hove continuity as well as the middle two and bottom two. In forward 5&6 have continuity(top two) 1&4, 2&3 a criss cross pattern.
Now there is no green wire but dierectly atop the two post is a quick connect, how can I check if this is the ground ? Also do I run my power lines to the switch or to the posts and then to the switch ? On the induct repultion 4 lead Would the power go to 2&6 and then from the swich to the motor posts ? Also which contacs on th switch would I connect the wires ? 3&4 or 5&4 Thanks, Thank you too micromind
Old 04-20-2010, 07:07 PM   #13

JV, I want the switch to reverse the motor. Thanks for your comment