Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-21-2013, 03:04 PM   #1

Share |

connecting hd tv to av receiver using arc and hdmi cable

Hi i have an LG LM6700 55 inch smart tv and bought a pioneer htp 071 home theater av receiver.
i watch movies in the tv via a hdd in the usb drive of the tv.

i am trying to connect and receive the tv audio through the av receiver via a high speed hdmi cable.
this cable is connected to the arc input in the tv.
I am not sure where it needs to be connected to the receiver.
I tried all settings in my receiver and tv but i get no sound from my speakers. but my speakers are working fine, because they ply well when connected to an audio device with 3.5 jack,
a detailed description to setup would be appreciated. please help!
Thanks.
raghavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:43 PM   #2

Are you sure that the AV receiver HDMI output and the TV HDMI input are bidirectional?

Typically the receiver HDMI output is output only and the TV HDMI input is input only. You would need to use "line out" jacks* on the back of the TV connecting to "aux in" jacks* (or audio input jacks that go with an unused video input) on the AV receiver to feed the TV sound to the receiver.

* Or a second HDMI cable from the video HDMI out jack (if any) of the TV (used to daisy chain multiple TVs fed by one DVD player in an auditorium) going to the HDMI jack of an unused video input on the AV receiver.

Last edited by AllanJ; 05-21-2013 at 05:49 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:45 PM   #3

[QUOTE=AllanJ;1184322]

I am sorry, I am new to this and not sure if the ports are unidirectional, but nothing of that sort has been mentioned in the manual or the youtube tutorial
thank you
Old 05-22-2013, 03:05 AM   #4

Your Pioneer receiver doesn't support the HDMI audio return channel. You will need to use an Optical Digital Audio cable.
DavidSeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:53 PM   #5

ok now i am getting sound from tv through my receiver but the sound goes on and off
Old 05-22-2013, 02:24 PM   #6

This TV does not have an HDMI Output. Most do not. In fact that's not a mainstream feature. Your TV is a displayer not a content provider.

Reading here...

http://newhdtvspecs.blogspot.com/201...and-price.html

The inputs / outputs it has are...

AV INPUTS/OUTPUTS
  • RF In (Antenna/Cable) 1 (Rear)
  • AV In 1 (Rear)
  • Component Video In 1 (Rear) (Y, Pb, Pr) + Audio
  • Digital Audio Out (Optical) 1 (Rear)
  • HDMI™/HDCP Input 4 (Side)
  • RGB In (D-Sub 15 Pin) - PC 1 (Rear)
  • PC Audio Input 1 (Rear)
  • USB 2.0 3 (Side) LAN 1 (Rear)
So, I would suggest you use the Digital Audio Out (Optical). Most modern receivers have one to several Optical Audio Inputs so it should work fine.

Last edited by SquishyBall; 05-22-2013 at 02:29 PM.
SquishyBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:48 PM   #7

shall do that thanks
Old 05-22-2013, 06:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquishyBall View Post
This TV does not have an HDMI Output. Most do not. In fact that's not a mainstream feature. Your TV is a displayer not a content provider.
Well, actually the LG LM6700 DOES provide an audio output via ARC through the HDMI 1 IN (ARC) port, as do most newer TVs in order to comply with HDMI 1.4 specs. This is what he wanted to use; as I posted above, it is his Pioneer receiver that cannot process this signal, not a problem with his TV.

"❐❐To use ARC mode
HOME Settings SOUND Sound Setting ARC Mode
External audio devices that support Audio Return Channel (ARC) can be connected with High-Speed HDMIⓇ cable without an extra optical audio cable to output SPDIF. It interfaces with SIMPLINK. For an external device that supports ARC (Audio Return Channel), connect it to the HDMI(ARC) port."

"HDMI 1.4 introduces two features called ARC (Audio Return Channel) and HEC (HDMI Ethernet Channel). These features use two pins from the connector: a previously unused pin and the hot plug detect pin.

ARC is an audio link meant to replace other cables between the TV and the A/V receiver or speaker system. This direction is used when the TV is the one that generates or receives the video stream instead of the other equipment. A typical case is the reception of ATSC or DVB signals by a TV, but reproduction of audio is handled by the other equipment. Without ARC, the audio output from the TV needs to be routed by another cable, typically TOS-Link or coax, into the speaker system."

Last edited by DavidSeon; 05-22-2013 at 06:14 PM.
DavidSeon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc, av receiver, hdmi, pioneer, smart tv