Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-02-2010, 11:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Connecting European appliances to the US grid

I recently bought a waffle iron in Europe, thinking that I could hook it up to the US 240V grid with a little tinkering. I wanted to ask you guys for input before I do anything stupid, though.

If I got it correct, the live wires in a US 240V socket are 180 deg. out of phase and hence have 240V between them. So all I need to do is connect the live wires to the live wires in my waffle iron, connect ground to ground, and I should have my required 240V. Is this correct?

Secondly, what about power? The iron is 1800W -- will a standard US household circuit be able to handle the current drawn by the iron?

Thanks a lot for your advice -- I'm really keen on getting this thing to work, but not at the expense of blowing up the neighborhood

euroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:27 AM   #2
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,132

Connecting European appliances to the US grid

If the waffle iron is a pure heating decice and does not have any controls that may be affected by the frequency difference (60 vs 50 Hertz), it should work fine.

1800 watts at 240 VAC is about 8 amps. Well under the blow up the neighborhood level.

You will need a dedicated circuit for this device. Run with NM 14-2 cable (or equal if your code requires something different) from a 2 pole, 15 amp circuit breaker. I assume that the device will be used in the kitchen, so the breaker needs to be GFCI. Terminate the cable in a a NEMA 6-15R receptacle and replace the plug on the device with a NEMA 6-15P plug.

Tags
appliances, european, power, socket