Connecting Conduit To Outdoor Load Center - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-21-2012, 02:43 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Connecting Conduit to Outdoor Load Center

As part of rewiring my house, I'm looking at connecting some new circuits to my outdoor load center. After doing some research, I believe I have a good idea of what's required. Still, some of the information has been sparse so I was hoping that I could get some confirmation that I'm on the right track.

Since the enclosure is metal, I've read recommendations to use threaded adapters on all PVC conduit (as opposed to box adapters). Thus I believe that there are three different sets of requirements depending on where the conduit connects.

1) Connections going into the top of the enclosure:
- A hub should be used with RMC or IMC (but cannot be used with EMT or PVC)
- A liquid tight connector can be used with EMT or PVC
- Avoiding unnecessary top connections is recommended.

2) Connections going into the sides of the enclosure at or above exposed conductors in the enclosure (such as the bus bar and ground/neutral bars)
- Can use a connector listed as rain/liquid tight
- This connection can also be made by using a bushing and lock nut on the inside, while using a gasket/sealing washer between the enclosure and the lock nut on the outside. A sealing lock nut can also be used instead of a separate gasket and lock nut on the outside.

3) Connections going into the sides below exposed conductors or into the bottom of the panel
- Simply need a bushing and lock nut on the inside, and a lock nut on the outside.

Questions:
- Does this look correct?
- Is the outside lock nut needed when using PVC male adapters?

Advertisement

a_lost_shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:51 AM   #2
Electrician

Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_lost_shadow View Post
As part of rewiring my house, I'm looking at connecting some new circuits to my outdoor load center. After doing some research, I believe I have a good idea of what's required. Still, some of the information has been sparse so I was hoping that I could get some confirmation that I'm on the right track.

Since the enclosure is metal, I've read recommendations to use threaded adapters on all PVC conduit (as opposed to box adapters). ??? Box adaptor? You mean connector…(threaded male adaptor)?? Use a PVC connector when the conduit enters an enclosure and couplers to join sections of conduit together.
Thus I believe that there are three different sets of requirements depending on where the conduit connects.

1) Connections going into the top of the enclosure:
- A hub should be used with RMC or IMC (but cannot be used with EMT or PVC) ??? EMT & PVC connectors also screw into hubs, and are weather-tight when done properly.
- A liquid tight connector can be used with EMT or PVC Like a Meyers Hub or a watertight EMT connector? Some proper fittings can be used with different conduits.
- Avoiding unnecessary top connections is recommended. True.

2) Connections going into the sides of the enclosure at or above exposed conductors in the enclosure (such as the bus bar and ground/neutral bars)
- Can use a connector listed as rain/liquid tight
- This connection can also be made by using a bushing and lock nut on the inside, while using a gasket/sealing washer between the enclosure and the lock nut on the outside. A sealing lock nut can also be used instead of a separate gasket and lock nut on the outside. Typically, a sealing locknut on the outside of the box would be used for RMC/IMC, (or without a locknut, thread RMC/IMC into a Meyers hub). PVC & EMT fittings have a shoulder to keep it from going through the hole. A gasket would go between the shoulder and the box.

3) Connections going into the sides below exposed conductors or into the bottom of the panel
- Simply need a bushing and lock nut on the inside, and a lock nut on the outside. Again, locknuts on the outside are typically used with RMC/IMC. Any conduit connection on the top or sides should have a watertight seal. Connections into the bottom are generally best, and usually don’t require a gasket, unless it’s subject to water penetration…like being sprayed down, etc.

Questions:
- Does this look correct?
- Is the outside lock nut needed when using PVC male adapters? No, but use a gasket for top or side entrances.

Advertisement

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:07 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

SD515, thanks for the corrections.

Regarding the "box adapter", I was referring to this thing:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/CAN...-Adapter-4FYD4

I'm assuming that this is meant to be used when going into plastic boxes. The small portion is the same diameter as the PVC pipe, and the shoulder is a bit bigger than the associated knockout hole. So I believe that the intention is to put the box adapter through the knockout. And then attach PVC via either the built in hub or with a coupling.

With the hubs, I had found some folks talking about how most hubs were listed for RMC & IMC, but not EMT or PVC. But I should have guessed that adapters were available to make it work.

Thanks again.
a_lost_shadow is offline   Reply With Quote