Connecting A Battery Backup To An Extension Cord (or Vice Versa); Safe? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-18-2011, 08:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Connecting a battery backup to an extension cord (or vice versa); safe?

I normally have all my computer equipment plugged into a APC Back-UPS ES 750 battery backup and have never had any problems but I just recently moved and the battery backup won't reach any of the computer cables when plugged into the outlet here -- I need a few more feet. I have an 8-outlet surge protector with a 15 foot cord that I was planning on plugging into the battery backup and then plugging the computer cables into the surge protector but APC warns strongly against this, as well as plugging the battery backup into a surge protector or extension cord in order to move it closer. Is there any way around this?

If I got an ultra-heavy duty extension cord (I only need 5-10 feet or so) and plugged the battery backup into that instead of the wall outlet, how likely is it that I'd run into trouble? I hate to mess with a setup I know works, especially since a power outage fried my old computer resulting in the loss of years of data, but I don't know what else to do in this situation. I haven't been able to find any battery backups with longer cords and I can't move the computer any closer to the outlet because of the house's design. Can anyone offer any help or suggestions? And if a heavy duty extension cord does turn out to be the only option, what gauge or model should I specifically be looking for when shopping for one?
Thanks.

Advertisement

kev77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 08:17 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

If you have a nice, heavy gauge extension cord (14 or 12 gauge), it should work just fine.

THE PROBLEM IS IF the manufacturer allowed it, many folks would simply use whatever was lying around the house, such as a cheap lamp cord, which is NOT suitable for such things.

The manufacturer escapes liability if anything burns up as a result of using an extension cord.

Advertisement

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 02:02 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

So would this cord be a suitable choice?

http://www.homedepot.com/Electrical-...atalogId=10053

9 foot indoor extension cord for "refrigerators, air conditioners and similar appliances" with the following specs: 12 gauge, 20 amp, 12 volt, 5000 maximum watts.

For all intents and purposes would this be just as good as a standard grounded wall outlet, even during power outages or surges? I did figure out a way that I could get the computer equipment closer to the wall outlet today but it would involve rearranging the entire room, so if there really wouldn't be any difference between the extension cord and the wall outlet then I'd much prefer to just use the cord instead.
kev77 is offline   Reply With Quote