Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical


Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2011, 11:42 AM   #1
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2
Share |

Connecting barn to house

A friend of mine has a remodeled house in NC. When it was remodeled they installed a GE 200A meter socket loadcenter. His inside panel is fed from the main lugs and his air conditioner and water heater are fed from the breakers. He now wants to feed his barn from this panel. He already has a 150 A panel and wire to get to the barn. What is the best way to connect to the loadcenter?
dusty29520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:07 PM   #2
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,794

Connecting barn to house


Sounds like the desire is to have the barn 150a panel as a subpanel of the existing main panel. A breaker would go into the main panel and wire run to the barn subpanel.

Subpanels in detached buildings are a very common question here. Suggest to use the search function to gain much knowledge, then ask any remaining and specific to your senario questions.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:34 PM   #3
Electrical Contractor
kbsparky's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Delmarva
Posts: 3,352

Connecting barn to house

You can buy a 2-pole 150 Amp GE breaker that plugs into that outside panel. Be aware that those breakers require 4 spaces, so that might fill up said panel.

A 125 amp breaker only requires 2 spaces, so if you don't need the entire 150 Amp capacity for the barn (most barns do not require that much), you might consider using a smaller breaker for the barn feeder.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:57 PM   #4
Floor Sweeper
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Central MN
Posts: 351

Connecting barn to house

Even though the panel he has is maybe rated at 150 A, he can likely feed it with much less. The first step is to do a load calculation of every electrical load he plans on running. "Barn" is pretty nonspecific. I'm in the middle of farm county, so to me that means a building that houses animals. To other people, that might just mean storage shed, machine shed, or even workshop. No way a storage shed needs a 150 A feeder, or even most workshops. A common size for a workshop is 60 up to 100A. On the other end, I've seen large barns that have enough equipment to require a 200A or larger service all by itself.
junkcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:19 PM   #5
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2

Connecting barn to house

His barn will be mostly used to park farm equipment under and he has 6 stalls for horses. I feel that 100A will be enough; he may hook up a welder for occasional small repairs. He just doesn't want to buy any more wire because he already has 4/0 aluminum. The problem is going to be connecting 4/0 aluminum to a 100-150A breaker.
dusty29520 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
dealing with exterior slope towards house. organick Building & Construction 26 03-19-2011 02:57 PM
Building a horse barn/ house future.horseman Building & Construction 2 02-10-2010 04:28 PM
HVAC for c. 1956 House. What would YOU do? David911 HVAC 10 02-08-2010 05:58 PM
Patio roof to house attachment question mikemobile Building & Construction 1 09-30-2008 07:51 AM
Changing Alligator Barn into house Rosie Carpentry 6 01-06-2008 03:26 PM

Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.