DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

connecting a 4 wire SP thermostat to a 2 wire system

6K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  wiichkin 
#1 ·
This is about a 240V baseboard thermostat. The thermostat I am trying to connect is Aube TH114-AF-240S, more info at http://www.aartech.ca/docs/TH115-A-240S.pdf

Here is my problem:

The current thermostat is an ancient 2-wire, single pole thermostat. There are only two wires coming into the box, red and black. 210V between them, 120V from each to ground. This tells me that the old thermostat simply turns the power on or off across the wires, thus also turning the heater on and off.

The new thermostat has 4-wires, 2 red and 2 black, although it is described a a single pole model. One pair of red and black is supposed to go to the power, and and one to the load. This appears to tell me that the thermostat will control the voltage going to the heater, rather then simply turning on and off.

Now, the kicker, can I connect this 4-wire SP thermostat to my 2-wire system? I am assuming by simply connecting both blacks to the black coming in and both reds to the red coming in?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.